Solar Cover Woes - any other ideas?

The ways I put on my solar cover

#1 The kite method
I get my kids,wife,neighbor,dog, neighbors dog or whoever and we each take an end and run like heck towards the pool. If we get it right and with just the right amount of wind it may land on top of the pool!

#2 The push and pull
Get the giant bubble wrap and roll it onto the water then everyone pushes and pulls on it from the sides to try and spread it out nicely.

#3 The jump in (this one is the easiest if you feel like going in)
Toss that plastic blob on top of the water jump in spread it around swim underneath it like a trapped seal under ice and get out.

This is how I get it off by myself: I roll it up like a giant eggroll, folding it in as I roll. It ends up about 4 x 2 or so...and I shove it into the shady area of the deck. To get it on, I set it in the pool, holding on to fat rolled portion, with the unfolded edge towards the pool. My husband (or another set of hands... stands at the opposite edge of the pool directly across from me. I unroll the cover pushing the unfolded edge towards him where he can reach and grab it. Then we turn it counter clockwise, hand over hand spreading it as we go. Takes about 3 minutes to get it spread over the surface...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think most of them are about the same as the others. You just have to decide where you want it, how much you want to spend, etc. Ours is a custom fab job with the reel mounted on posts off the end of the pool so nothing would be ON the pool railings. It's a one person on/off operation. Many of the purchased reels are just as good but mount on the pool rails. Once you have one you will be so glad - way easier than trying to manhandle a cover yourself.

The bigger the pool, it seems the lazier we seem to want to be with managing things, but "things" are bigger with the bigger pools so maybe that's why? I don't know but seems like when we had our 18' pool I didn't think it was a big deal, but I sure would never want to manually handle a 33' long solar blanket/cover now. Yikes, I'd end up leaving it on or leaving it off.

frustratedpoolmom said:
You should have seen us trying to use it the first few times - "where's the video camera!" :)
Actually, do you want to post a video on youtube or somewhere? Because it sounds like you really have it down now... I've seen you describe this eggroll trick a few times and I can never figure out what it means.
--paulr

My solar cover is a pita. Its heavy duty the thickest you can get and for a 24ft pool its a chor to fold up and out with a fence around the pool like mine. I cannot even use a reel, If i could fit it on with the fence it would be a monster to get on and off. I am going to operate on it this year and cut it in half or even quarters.

PaulR said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
You should have seen us trying to use it the first few times - "where's the video camera!" :)
Actually, do you want to post a video on youtube or somewhere? Because it sounds like you really have it down now... I've seen you describe this eggroll trick a few times and I can never figure out what it means.
--paulr

Start rolling, grab with your right hand and fold it in...roll to make it hold, fold it in with your left hand, roll to make it hold, repeat with the right, then the left, etc. etc. and eventually you have a big fat roll of a solar cover.... :mrgreen:

I removed the 30 ft. round solar cover for the first time the other day. Oh my, what a work out! I had the "help" of my two grandkids and we really struggled to get that thing off. I'm hoping that once we get the deck built it will be somewhat easier. If not, someone else will have to manhandle it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.