Intermatic timer replacement

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I am going to have to change out my intermatic timer pump timer soon. I have one hooked up to the pump and one to the booster pump for the cleaner. I do not care to have the booster pump on a timer that works as I only run it when I am around. So can I just switch out the pump timer and leave the other one as is? It seems to be a pretty quick swap. Is there anything special I need to know about it besides cut off the power to it when changing it? Is it something hard to do? It looks like basically swapping out a manual thermostat to a digital, just follow the wires. It is the one with a yellow face. Also if I did not want the pump to come on at my specified times, is there a way to do that?

Thanks.

This is not mine, but I have the same one. Mine actually has two of these in one box. MIne also has a black swith to the right of the time, but I think this is for a heater. Since I do not have a heater, do I need a timer with this switch. I think it is called a fireman switch and it is black and to the right.

Attachments

• 2009-11-21_040850_IntermaticTimer.jpg
    2009-11-21_040850_IntermaticTimer.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 212
Bama Rambler said:
If you'll look to the bottom right of the time dial you'll see a small handle. That's the manual switch. There are arrows below it to indicate the on/off positions.

So when the timer works, do you leave it in the on spot and it comes on and off when it should? If you turn it off, it will not come on with the timer settings?

mynewpool said:
I have seen these for sale at the pool store, can you buy them anywhere else? Such as lowes, home depot, etc?

I always get those at my electric supply house. Many, if not most, are Intermatic dealers and can get you any model, extra trippers, a motor or just the mechanism without the case for repairs, etc. The difference between a timer and a thermostat is ten times the voltage (24V vs. 240V). 240V can kill you. 24V can't. So be very careful.

I don't really understand why you are swapping it out. Is it broken? You can change just the motor or just the timer mechanism (including motor) and reuse your existing case. If you remove the trippers, it has no timing function and you can use just the manual switch. The fireman switch might have another use other than a heater. For instance, it might only allow the auxiliary pump to run only when the main pump is in operation. It is a separate module and can be moved to a new timer or a new mechanism if so required. In any case, I would try to trace its wires to see what it is intended to do.

If you are uncomfortable with any of this, call an electrician.

Durk said:
mynewpool said:
I have seen these for sale at the pool store, can you buy them anywhere else? Such as lowes, home depot, etc?

I always get those at my electric supply house. Many, if not most, are Intermatic dealers and can get you any model, extra trippers, a motor or just the mechanism without the case for repairs, etc. The difference between a timer and a thermostat is ten times the voltage (24V vs. 240V). 240V can kill you. 24V can't. So be very careful.

I don't really understand why you are swapping it out. Is it broken? You can change just the motor or just the timer mechanism (including motor) and reuse your existing case. If you remove the trippers, it has no timing function and you can use just the manual switch. The fireman switch might have another use other than a heater. For instance, it might only allow the auxiliary pump to run only when the main pump is in operation. It is a separate module and can be moved to a new timer or a new mechanism if so required. In any case, I would try to trace its wires to see what it is intended to do.

If you are uncomfortable with any of this, call an electrician.

I am not sure if you would call it broken, as it works as a manual switch, but the timer aspect does not work. I thought it would be easier to just pull it out and switch in a new one. I have changed out manual to digital thermostats, so it seems to be a simlilar deal. The fireman switch has two black wires coming off of them and they are both capped off, so I see now use for that. The booster pump is hooked up with the main pump. If the main pump is not on, neither will the booster pump. It seems the booster pump was jumped off of the main pump. So we shall see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mynewpool said:
I am not sure if you would call it broken, as it works as a manual switch, but the timer aspect does not work. I thought it would be easier to just pull it out and switch in a new one. I have changed out manual to digital thermostats, so it seems to be a simlilar deal. The fireman switch has two black wires coming off of them and they are both capped off, so I see now use for that. The booster pump is hooked up with the main pump. If the main pump is not on, neither will the booster pump. It seems the booster pump was jumped off of the main pump. So we shall see.

So you probably just need a new clock motor. Look through the hole in the gray plate just right of top center. If the motor is running you can see the gears turning. You can just pull the mechanism forward (after disconnecting electric supply at panel), unscrew the motor (3 or 4 screws), unscrew the motor wires from the supply line screws, and replace. Much cheaper than a new timer and actually easier to do.

Yes, if the fireman switch is capped off, you don't need it. You had not included that detail.

Durk said:
mynewpool said:

So you probably just need a new clock motor. Look through the hole in the gray plate just right of top center. If the motor is running you can see the gears turning. You can just pull the mechanism forward (after disconnecting electric supply at panel), unscrew the motor (3 or 4 screws), unscrew the motor wires from the supply line screws, and replace. Much cheaper than a new timer and actually easier to do.

Yes, if the fireman switch is capped off, you don't need it. You had not included that detail.

Yea they are not turning as that was pointed out to me during pool school. Where can I pick up these pool motors? Will I need to change the gears or anything?

From the Intermatic website:

There are 5 locations within 10 miles of 77389.

Now viewing page 1 out of 1 pages.
6 milesConroe Lighting & Supply
1144 Rayford Road #5
Spring, TX 77386
(281) 296-7777
7 milesElliott Electric
201 South Persimmon Street
Tomball, TX 77375
() -
8 milesCity Electrical Sy
16749-F North Freeway
Houston, TX 77090
(281) 580-5200
8 milesJohnstone Supply
15631 Blue Ash #160
Houston, TX 77090
(281) 872-5200
8 milesLloyd Graves Elec Sy Co
21604 North I-45 Freeway
Spring, TX 77373
Best approach is to take out the old clock motor and bring it with you to one of these places. (all Intermatic distributors--don't waste time at Home Depot as they won't have it.) Just remember what screws the two motor wires were on. [They go on the incoming supply Line screws.] The motor has the pinion gear on it, and when you screw it in place, it will mesh with the clockwork on the timer. Really quite easy--just be safe. The motor is in an aluminum can about the size of a roll of tape held to the back of the gray plate by 2 or 3 screws. The plate is held in the case by a spring clip on either side. Spray some WD40 on all the gears while you are in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.