Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're fired!

1. Back To Top    #1

You're fired!

Vacation is over, so it is time to fire the pool service.

I was awaiting the bill (always gets here first every month) so I could pay him off and add some severance pay. But I decided to forgo the goodwill gesture when I saw this jewel besides the usual monthly charge:
    Annual conditioner charge is billed once per year - every April. $75
    $75 for what?? My CYA is already at 140 due to the continuous use of pucks in a floater by him and the previous homeowner! It was 220+ until I started pumping and diluting with rainwater. I don't know how he decides how much "conditioner" to put in anyway - all I've seen them use is test strips.

I wrote the check, called and left him a message on his voicemail, and put a note in with the payment stub. So now I'm on my own. Just me, my TF100, The Pool Calculator, and you guys. With what I'll save this month, maybe I'll order a couple TFP T-shirts.

Does this pool need more chemicals? I think not.[attachment=0:2t6pfvwj]Dsc00226.jpg[/attachment:2t6pfvwj]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: You're fired!

Very nice.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you're reading that wrong. That charge is to pay for him leaving the Air Conditioner running in the van while he adjusts your water! You don't want him having to get in a hot van do you???

You'll be much better off doing it yourself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

What are the purple flowers behind the pool?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I haven't a clue. They were here in October when we moved in. My wife may have identified them, I'll ask her tonight when she gets home. All we've planted is a cutting from a family heirloom Geranium (which I know from Grandma's house, my aunt's, my mom's, and my sisters' will thrive anywhere no matter how bad the soil and how much neglect) and some tomatos at the other end of the patio.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

That charge is to pay for him leaving the Air Conditioner running in the van
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Can't see too clearly but looks like hostas from what I can tell....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've never seen hostas like that. Pretty tho, whatever they are.
    Congrats Richard....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Getting a much needed laugh for the day with this thread, Richard (or should I call you "The Donald")!! "Annual Conditioner Charge", boy that's a hot one. I'm still wiping tears from the corners of my eyes from giggling. It's sad though, really for people who don't know better. You're in great hands here at TFP! Rock On!!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

10. Back To Top    #10

Society Garlic.

11. Back To Top    #11

Society Garlic.
    Ah, looks right according to google images. Muchas Gracias!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Society Garlic.
    Ah, looks right according to google images. Muchas Gracias!
    De nada.

I happen to be a wealth of useless information.........

13. Back To Top    #13

Congrats Richard Take charge
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Vacation is over, so it is time to fire the pool service.

I was awaiting the bill (always gets here first every month) so I could pay him off and add some severance pay. But I decided to forgo the goodwill gesture when I saw this jewel besides the usual monthly charge:
    Annual conditioner charge is billed once per year - every April. $75
    $75 for what?? My CYA is already at 140 due to the continuous use of pucks in a floater by him and the previous homeowner! It was 220+ until I started pumping and diluting with rainwater. I don't know how he decides how much "conditioner" to put in anyway - all I've seen them use is test strips.

I wrote the check, called and left him a message on his voicemail, and put a note in with the payment stub. So now I'm on my own. Just me, my TF100, The Pool Calculator, and you guys. With what I'll save this month, maybe I'll order a couple TFP T-shirts.

Does this pool need more chemicals? I think not.[attachment=0:38norzvx]Dsc00226.jpg[/attachment:38norzvx]
    That pool looks great! But that might actually be a credit to your service guys

18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Richard - So what is your CYA level now since the spring time addition?
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

16. Back To Top    #16

Just me, my TF100, The Pool Calculator, and you guys.
    You're certainly in better hands.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Just me, my TF100, The Pool Calculator, and you guys.
    You're certainly in better hands.
    For Sure

Pool looks GREAT

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    Richard - So what is your CYA level now since the spring time addition?
    Why, it's about 140, same as it's been for months! How'd that happen?

19. Back To Top    #19

Just for grins you should contact them and say the CYA measurement has not changed since their "Annual addition" last week and you want to know how much they put in the pool. Demand a refund!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

I suspect the flowers are Society Garlic.

Kinda stinky, but you can cook with the leaves as a substitute for chives or green onion tops. Very popular here in Texas, tough plant.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast