Topsoil is good for pools, right!? (now with photos!)

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Just when I thought the fun was over with my pool, a careless contractor came in and kicked the fun up to 11.

This morning, I had 10 yards of top soil brought into my back yard to level out the clay and plant grass. He dumped it where it was supposed to be and then, while shaking the box to empty the tailgate, backed some of the pile into the pool!

The pool immediately went black with the flood of new soil. Luckily, I screamed at him just as the dirt was pushing over the ledge and it was only a few hundred pounds of dirt. I turned off the pump as I had to go back to work and didn't want it clogging anything up.

Ugh.

Back to vacuuming again. :\

UPDATE: This is the pool 2 days after the dirt hit it, pump off the whole time. You can see the lines where I've been losing water and the mess they made. Tomorrow, my yard crew will be done planting grass seed and I'll get to cleaning it.

4585391556_362a8a72d7_b.jpg

4585392276_771d83a721_b.jpg

4585394788_af1e379d54_b.jpg

4585392860_ce30799f57_b.jpg

4584767133_d096209f9f_b.jpg

Re: Topsoil is good for pools, right!?

Hate to hear this - hope you can get it completely out of the entire system without too much trouble.

Contractors....uggghhh!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That guy (or the company he works for) should pay for the cleanup of your pool and refund you for the amount of topsoil you paid for that they destroyed. I say destroyed because unless you plan to remove it by hand and spread it out to dry somewhere I doubt you will be able to salvage it!

Hurricane Gio said:
Holy Cow! I would make him pay for clean up or a heavy discount on the soil.

When I attempted to negotiate that he said, "I'm just a guy with a dump truck. I don't own a business. I'm just bringing you dirt for cash. I'm not responsible."

denisbaldwin said:
Hurricane Gio said:

When I attempted to negotiate that he said, "I'm just a guy with a dump truck. I don't own a business. I'm just bringing you dirt for cash. I'm not responsible."
Did you pay him? I would have refused payment. Did you pay with a credit card? dispute the charge.

denisbaldwin said:
Hurricane Gio said:

Where I come from, we call him self-employed. Among other things, he should get some insurance!

His business is selling/delivering 'dirt' for cash. If he is not more careful, someone (maybe you) could end up owning that dump truck.

I am not saying he owes you his dump truck, but I think he owes you something. JMHO

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to take action.

I paid him cash before he dumped it. That was probably my first mistake. He wouldn't take a check or credit card, so cash it had to be.

Secondly, I'm not even sure if I have his information anymore. He was an ad in the local newspaper that I had called to hire him. When I call him now, it goes direct to voicemail. I'll give my lawyer all of this info and see what he can make of it.

Try googling the phone number to see if it is a publicly listed. You can also try calling from a different phone and see if he picks up. He is likely trying to operate under the radar of the IRS with this "cash only" stuff. Did his newspaper ad say "so-and-so dirt hauling" or "just-a-guy-with-a-truck-who-delivers-dirt-and-won't-be-held-responsible-for-damaging-your-property"? He placed an ad offering a service for a fee. That makes it a business. Reporting him to the state attorney general may also be an option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.