Pool Leak

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Well I thought maybe I had a pool leak. So I did the overnight bucket test and the water level remained the same. It seems during the day, with sun fully hitting on the pool the water level seems to go down. I think it is caused due to evaporation. The reason I think this is I have a Koi pond that is covered and does not get any sun, but is losing water slowly. It does not seem like a lot of water though. During the winter though, the water level never really went down at all in the pool and if we got a big rain storm or anything I would have to drain the pool. So maybe I am just paranoid and really do not have a leak, but just worried. I am trying something today. I put some water in a bucket outside of the pool in direct sunlight and I am going to see how much water it loses.

Molson said:
In direct sun you pool can lose quite a bit due to evaporation. If your bucket test is a success (same water level) you can be quite sure you don't have a leak. Do you have a solar cover on the pool?

No solar cover. I have thought about a cover, but do not want to have to deal with putting a cover on and off. The thing I do not like about it, is when I add new water, it will throw off my CYA. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can always add stablizer to bring it back up.

You could add stabilizer to keep the CYA #s in check, for sure. I have a cover on a reel on my pool, and its not small, but easily a one person job to apply and remove, and it sure helps A) keep the heat in, and B) keep evaporation in check. I only have to add water after a good backwash.

Molson said:
You could add stabilizer to keep the CYA #s in check, for sure. I have a cover on a reel on my pool, and its not small, but easily a one person job to apply and remove, and it sure helps A) keep the heat in, and B) keep evaporation in check. I only have to add water after a good backwash.

Do you have a link to a cover you would recommend?

Opinions on solar covers vary, you can get cheap ones that will last a season or two, or better ones that are thicker (12mm range) that can come with a 6 year warranty, that is what I am getting. Some feel the cheap ones are inexpensive enough to replace every season. I'm not sure about places in TX to grab a cover, but others may chime in here. Also search the forums for "solar cover" and you will find a lot of great info.

Melt In The Sun said:
When you add water due to evaporation loss, you shouldn't need to add more CYA. It just stays behind in the water.

Well I was thinking of it when you need to lower cya you replace the water. So I was thinking this is like replacing missing water, but I guess it is a little different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.