looking for a great not good deck coating/sealer

Jul 23, 2007
pacific nw
need the best product in a moderate price range to use for putting on raw wood that's going to get lots of water exposure from the pool plus our pacific nw rainy spells..i used olympic stain with our 1st pool & that didn't hold up well at all. i've seen a few people mentions cabot's, anyone had any experience with superdeck stain/sealers? or any others? i gotta get this deck done so we can put the wedding cake steps in & get in this thing sometime b4 summer's over!

About a year ago, I stained my deck using Defy clear wood stain and the results after a year are so-so. The vertical surfaces have held their color well, but the surfaces bearing the direct sunlight have grayed a bit more than I expected. In it's defense it has held its color _much_ better than my two neighbors whom did not stain their deck at all, but I expected better.

Consumer reports did a article on deck stains and I searched around for it, but I can't seem to locate it. Wife must have filed it in one of her special spots.

I just put an addition on my deck and reconfigured the railing system on the old deck. Reusing all the wood that I could, I have a mix of old (clear stained) wood and new. I plan to clean/strip the deck and stain it all again. I will go with something a wee bit darker this time to hide the graying from the beating from the sun. I too am not sure of the product I will use yet. If I can ever find that CR, I may go with the recommended product.

I found a good picture for you. You can see that the balusters held up better than the decking.
normal_IMG_1090.jpg

normal_IMG_1032.jpg

Mixing old and new wood:
normal_IMG_1184.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.