Baquacil conversion with monopersulfate

Apr 26, 2010
First off, I'm new to pools and can use all the "non-biased" help I can get.
I have been on BaquaGoo for three years and after last year am completely fed up! I have a 22500 gal Vinyl pool and am converting to a Hayward Swimpure SWG. Along with this system I was sold on using a 40lb bucket of MPS (monopersulfate) to get rid of the Baguinides.
Yesterday I opened the pool and have been circulating through a sand filter for 24 hrs and will be taking in a water sample for testing since I do not have my test kit yet. The salesman that sold me the MPS said to just throw in 20 lbs wait a day and throw in the other 20lbs and that should take care of the Baquacil. I'm not so sure after reading within TFP that this is correct. My receipt says that all chemical sales are final, so I may be stuck with the MPS.

My questions are;
Using the pool calculator, what is the equivalent to MPS?
Does MSP leave residual chemicals that could be harmful to my SWG cell?
If I can exchange the MPS, what would be another chemical that I would use in the future with a SWG?

Thanks for all of your help!

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

Using liquid chlorine will be far less expensive than MPS. If it's returnable or exchangeable, I would do so and get liquid chlorine (or bleach) instead. If it's not returnable, You will be able to use it initially and then switch to bleach/liquid chlorine with no problem so you are not stuck with it.

The conversion is a process that may take more effort than the salesman is telling you (sounds like he has never done one). You will be able to search here for baquacil conversions and will find success stories that will give you an idea of the4 process involved.

Especially in a baqua conversion, you need the capability to test for very high levels of chlorine so a very good test kit (you can review them in Pool School) is almost essential BEFORE you start.

Pleanty of folks here on the forum who have either done the consversion (and they have never looked back) or who are well-versed in the procedure.

Keep asking question! :lol:

If you do end up using the MPS, I would add 10 lbs every 12 hours till you run out, wait another 12 hours and then continue the conversion with bleach following the directions at Pool School.

MPS is not normally at all harmful. If you use high dosages very frequently for an extended period you could eventually build up the sulfate level, but that shouldn't be an issue here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.