New pool plaster, stains

Buddy L

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Texas
I have stains, I believe, as well in a relatively new pool finished in Sept. last. I initially saw one long 'stain' that I thought was on the finish. Through winter, pool became 'green', and I have shocked that out. But now there are a few darker spots that do not brush out.
Yesterday, I turned the brush over, rubbed on the spot, and looked like a tar like substance, dark in color. Is this scale, or algae

Is there a shape to the spot?
To determine if the stains are metal, hold a vitamin C tablet on the spot for 30 seconds and see if the spots change at all.
To determine if the spots are organic/algae - hold or rub it with a trichlor tablet and see if the spots change.
Let us know what you find.

The stains are not symetrical or round, but that is why I thought it was in the surface (defect). They seem more elongated, but I will try the Vit. C deal, and see what happens. How does one go about that however. Put it in a sock, or just hold it on there somehow?

Hi Buddy~~

At the top right area of this page is Pool School. Under the solving problems area there is a whole article on stains and also on algae. The material there may be very helpful to you.

Yes, you hold that Vitamin C tablet right on the stain with your hand or your foot or whatever and then see if there is a color change.

Good luck!

Lana

Re: Newbie for sure

I just have used the test that the pool man left me (a PoolStyle 5 way), and here's what I got:
(haven't gotten another test kit yet)
Cl. 0.5
Br 1
pH 8.2 (or a little higher)
TA 220 + (to 240)
So I just added a lb 'shock' (looked at school, but still don't know how much bleach to use, and according to instructions, I should around 2qts of muriatic acid to lower TA. What else should I do?

Re: Newbie for sure

Buddy L said:
What else should I do?

Read Pool School again. :mrgreen:

Ok, sorry for the humor... you need to lower your PH with Muratic Acid, don't try to calculate lowering the TA. Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator? You enter 7.2 on the Ph as your target/goal.

You need to do this before you resume shocking... if that's what you are tying to do...

What was in the "shock"? And why are you shocking...do you see visible algae? Is your FC holding overnight?

Ignore reference to BR/bromine, this is a chlorine pool correct?

Do you know your CYA level?

Any report about the stains? Did you try the suggestions of Vitamin C or trichlor?

A pool guy came by and said that the 'stain' looked like a black algae, told me to get a stainless steel brush and go to town.
I've scraped it off a couple of times, and it seems it may work, as there are white spots where some of the stain was.
Is this a slooooooow process or what? Is this the aspect of knocking off the top so as to allow chlorine to attack the stain.
He told me that there would be nothing to do with the pitting or any spots from whiting. If this is not a year old, would re-doing th e bottom be an idea, or what could the mfg do to redo the pool to make the [spots gp away

Any new test results?
Are you treating the black algae with high chlorine levels as well as frequent brushing?
You shouldn't have to resurface already - If you are properly chlorinating this issue can be resolved fairly simply.

Here are some pics, so tell me what to think, & should I make some sort of demand with regard to the 'spot's?
Not really litigious, but I am a lawyer, so being ignorant of this sort of thing, I have to ask! Besides, this is a consumer
protection environment that I am typing in>
Thanks for any suggestions. BuddyL :goodjob:

Attachments

• IMG00006-20100516-0716.jpg
    IMG00006-20100516-0716.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 291
  • ramp up 5-16-10.jpg
    ramp up 5-16-10.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 285
  • spotting-whiting 5-16-10.jpg
    spotting-whiting 5-16-10.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 284

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are confused, you can guess as to mine.
The darker spots within the lighter are remaining from my brushing with a steel brush.
I have no idea where the spots "white" are from, or why they are there. Any ideas? I have no trees
in the back *had all removed prior to the build" but there are pines in the neighborhood, and they
find theyre way. That is about all other than oak trees, and typical pollen in Texas.
The pool guy said it looked like 'pitting', but that sounds like surface problems.
What up?
Any experiences will help! BuddyL

Something seems very off... so you are brushing, and the blue color is coming off, revealing this lighter area, and brushing this area further leaves the very dark spots?

I simply don't have the experience or knowledge to address this problem - I'll have to call this to the attention of those "in the know"... hang tight :)

Not necessarily. The remaining 'dark' spots are an improvement from the brushing. The long areas were once black. So, I figure (and the pool guy said) it was probably black algae, and suggested a steel brush. I believe then that with brushing, I have knocked off the layers, leaving only the dark you see. However, the white is still there, and I am wondering is this a result of a bad pour, or what. The pool guy called it 'pitting' but with the newness, that sounds like a surface problem, not a chemical. He also said that his thought was that they would not go away. (He's not my pool guy, just came to repair a booster pump and to fix the heater which could not be manually turned off)
I was just wondering if 'organic' problems could have attributed to this weird look? It was an odd winter. Or does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause the 'whiting'? Buddy L

I'm late to the thread, but reading through it, I think you need to get your water in balance first.

It appears your water has been out of balance for a long period of time so it may take a while to get it back right. Once that is done, the staining will be the only remaining issue and you may have seen some significant improvement in them by then.

To get your water in balance, you will need to post a full set of test results and read pool school....particularly ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and then "How to shock your Pool".

Please do not put any more ingredients into your pool unless someone here suggests it. One of the tenants we teach is to know what you are putting in and why you are putting it in.

I realize I am sounding a little harsh (and bossy). I don't mean to but I do know that stains are virtually always the result of poor water quality so let's get your water right first and then work on the stains. As I indicated, simply getting your water in balance may make a difference in the stains. Post those numbers and ask any questions you may have about the articles in pool school.

new test result this am
cl is 2
pH is 8.2 +
TA is 180
Test indicates acid demand quite high.
After I added the shock, altho I cant say really why, except for the 'spots problem',
over the last week I have added 2 182 bottles of bleach, as well as 1 gal muriatic acid.
As instructed now, I've not done anything other than order a new test kit, and am awaiting further instructions.
But I will go to the calculator.
Calculator tells me to add over 3 qts of bleach, and 1 gal, 1qt and 2 cups of MA.
But should I wait until the test is done this pm? Thx, Buddy L

1st thing: bring your pH down to 7.4 or so. Dose as if your ph is 8.2, wait for it to mix, then check and dose again if necessary. It sounds like your pH was very high.

2nd thing: make sure you keep chlorine in the pool. Do you know your CYA (stabilizer) level? How much chlorine depends on that number. A pool store should be able to test for you, but you'd really be better off doing it yourself when you get your kit. Til then you could shoot for perhaps 5.

Once you get your kit we'll help you with the rest!

Have the test kit in and here are some figures:

FC 7.5
CC 1
TC 8.5
TA 240
CH 60
CYA 35
Showing to need quite a bit of calcium chloride. Can I use 'anhydrous'? Also shows to need acid to bring down the alkalinity.
Am I reading this right? Buddy L

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.