New pool - where to start?

dsharp

May 3, 2010
New Orleans, LA
Topic split off by Moderator

OK, I'm in a very similar boat (AG, 10 to 12,000 gallon) except my pool is being installed next week with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Do I add the salt as it's filling up? I know I need different levels of chemicals (i.e. CYA needs to be higher, FC should be lower, etc.), but I'm not sure when to bring it to the higher/lower level, when I should start running the pump without the SWG, when I should run it with the SWG... Any step-by-step advice posts for a brand new SWG pool around?

Hi there,
Have you read Pool School? :) That's a great place to start. Most if not all of your questions should be answered there. :wink:

Your first step is to order a good test kit, there is an article in Pool School that compares the two that we recommend.

You can test the water once the pool is full or you can test your fill/tap water. Then learn how to use the Pool Calculator because it will help you determine how much of each chem you need to add and when you need to add it.

After you read Pool School - if you have any questions at all or something isn't clear just post back here and we'll be glad to help. :)

I read Pool School, but it didn't really answer the questions about starting up with a SWG pool (i.e. add salt while it's filling with water? start it as a regular chlorine pool, then add salt and convert it to SWG after the levels are correct, or simply begin running the SWG when the salt-added water's high enough to run the pump?) Also, the AG pool is a 54" high, 15 X 30 oval. Do I enter the depth in the Pool Calculator as 4.5 feet or some lesser amount because it's likely not to be filled to the top?

Depending on where your skimmer is located on the wall, you may have 50" or 52" of water in your pool. Calculate based on that. Start with the lower amount of salt and add as needed to get up to what you need for the SWG to operate. It would take about 24 hrs after the salt is in to register correctly all the way around - usually. If the water is really warm, less time. Generally what I do each year at spring start up is to add my salt as I top off (for you when filling) begin with liquid chlorine. Get the water balanced - then switch on the SWG and maintain with it. Good luck!

Hi dsharp,

Getting a good test kit is the best investment you can make in your pool, imho.

Many of us use the TF-100 from TFTestKits (Link in my sig). You would also need to order the salt strips.

Here's the link to balancing a SWG pool: pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Before you add any salt to your pool, you need to test for the salt level.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

NWMNMom said:
Depending on where your skimmer is located on the wall, you may have 50" or 52" of water in your pool. Calculate based on that. Start with the lower amount of salt and add as needed to get up to what you need for the SWG to operate. It would take about 24 hrs after the salt is in to register correctly all the way around - usually. If the water is really warm, less time. Generally what I do each year at spring start up is to add my salt as I top off (for you when filling) begin with liquid chlorine. Get the water balanced - then switch on the SWG and maintain with it. Good luck!
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Butterfly said:
Hi dsharp,

Getting a good test kit is the best investment you can make in your pool, imho.

Many of us use the TF-100 from TFTestKits (Link in my sig). You would also need to order the salt strips.

Here's the link to balancing a SWG pool: pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Before you add any salt to your pool, you need to test for the salt level.

Welcome to the forum :wave:
Ordered the test kit and salt strips - thanks! :wave:

Ordered the salt test strips with the test kit this morning, but when buying the pool this evening the pool store guy scared my wife into not going SWG ("too corrosive", "will void the warranty on your AG resin-topped pool", etc.) so we'll be going straight BBB without the SWG. Anybody need a fresh unopened bottle of salt test strips? Unfortunately, I won't be needing them.

On the bright side, the pool will be installed in a couple of days. Tomorrow I'll buy my bleach and stabilizer to get the FC to 4 and the CYA to 30 ppm right away. Question - should i shock it to start (12) or just go for the normal target (4) level given the immediate 30 CYA (liquid)?

I can use 'emm :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP...if you want the SWG I would just get it. Bleach is simple too, but the swg makes it so easy. I have a resin abg pool as well...I wouldn't worry about corrosion. Also, intex has a swg a lot of us run...let me know if interested and I can send you the link to the 2009 model most of us recommend.

dsharp said:
On the bright side, the pool will be installed in a couple of days. Tomorrow I'll buy my bleach and stabilizer to get the FC to 4 and the CYA to 30 ppm right away. Question - should i shock it to start (12) or just go for the normal target (4) level given the immediate 30 CYA (liquid)?
No need to shock. Just go for normal FC given your immediate CYA of 30.
You can also do an Overnight FC Loss Test to verify no need to shock.

Well, you are probably going to get a lot of comments (conversations) about not getting the SWG. :)

It is so very popular. Wish I had one! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to all for your responses. In no small part due to your posts I was able to convince my wife that SWG was the better way to go - corrosion potential or not so I'll be getting the Aquatrol SWG for my new pool being installed Saturday!!!

dsharp said:
Thanks to all for your responses. In no small part due to your posts I was able to convince my wife that SWG was the better way to go - corrosion potential or not so I'll be getting the Aquatrol SWG for my new pool being installed Saturday!!!
Congratulations! I think you will enjoy the ease of maintenance. :party: :party:

You're gonna' need more CYA :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.