First large Pool Party next weekend...

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
I will be having my kids Birthday Party next Saturday and it will be the first party in the Pool. I am expecting 20-22 bathers in my pool.

Is it a good idea to shock the pool with bleach before or after? Or should I just bring the levels up slowly with my SWG little by little to a bit over my normal levels?

The wife is afraid if I shock with bleach before and mess up that we can't swim. But I told here I use the TFP and the Pool Calc and she gave me a strange look, LMAO!

I'd just run at the high end of the range before the party, then shock it after the party. Your pool will eat chlorine for several hours with that many kids.

As long as the chlorine is in the top of the range you should have no problems. If you want to shock after you can, but you may not need to. Make sure everyone understands the no peeing in the pool rule and maybe set out some old towels on the floor of the house to keep the path to the toilet dry.

More people in the pool means more chlorine demand, with enough people way more chlorine demand. As long as you add enough chlorine there isn't any need to shock. Figuring out just how much chlorine you need is a little hit or miss so be sure to test the level right after the party.

Wow!!! That's a lot of kids! Good luck to you! Make it a rule in your house/pool....go pee before you go swimming! I tell my kids and their friends...I have put a special chemical in the pool...if you pee in my pool your bathing suit will turn red!! OMG...you should see the looks on their faces!!! :eek:

For what it's worth, we have done several pool parties like that. I usually dose the pool before the party to get the FC level to 2.5 ppm above target as indicated by the Chlorine CYA Chart. Following this route has kept me from having to shock afterward.

Thanks guys. Its about 15 kids and 12 adults. All the kids are potty trained except for my soon to be 3 yr old boy (in the process) and know not to pee in the pool.

I will just keep chlorine just a hair over my preferred levels and test fix/handle on Sunday any issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.