Polaris 9300 disapointing first run

John Rock

Apr 10, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I picked up my new Polaris 9300 yesterday and tried it today in my greenish pool. The robot stopped twice a dozen minutes in the 1h30 cycle. Both times I cleaned the bag, but it was hardly dirty... just a film of gunk. Will try again tomorrow but this time will time it to see if it stops exactly after the same amount of time.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Pool sweeps and robots are meant to keep clean pools clean. They are not meant for heavily soiled or algae coated pool cleaning. That MUST be done manually. The 9300 behaved correctly. You gunked the bag, restricting the flow of water. The reduced flow told the 9300 to stop before it gets damaged.

Scott

Hi,
How's the 9300 working ? Are you satisfied with it ?Does it get your whole pool clean ?
I have a 2 year old aquabot Viva that just died ! I have to pay $30 to ship it back and then I have to pay for labor although the parts are covered , I'm upset . I saw the 9300 today in a local pool store , looks very low maintenance, the whole motor box is $365 and looks do it yourself .

Thanks

Hi,

So far, I can't say that I'm really impressed, but this is the only robot I have owned so I can't compare. It seems to stir up the dirt more than it picks it up, so quickly after the dirt settles back down. The walls are clean however and the 9300 climbs them easily. The filter basket is very easy to clean.

Keep in mind that I have pool issues, like a film of yellow dust (pollen?) all over so perhaps the robot wasn't meant to handle that.

Bottom line, at the moment, it's not keeping my pool clean. :cry:

I hope you don't mind me chiming in.I purchased a 9300 a week ago.I think it's a fantastic cleaner . I think the pollen in your pool would give most cleaners a hard time being so easily stirred up. The fact that the cleaner stirs it up should help get it into your skimmers and filter .I would also suggest Skimmer Socks on your skimmers to help catch the pollen . My Aquabot Viva went in for service after only 2 short NJ pool seasons , the Pump motor, 2 drive motors were replaced under warranty as was the power cord, total charge for me was $165, and $35 to ship to them , but the parts had they not been under warranty would have cost me $1400 !! The Viva is an execellent cleaner but I can't afford to keep it if something else goes wrong. I bought the 9300 as I figured the Viva would take 2 -3 weeks to get back from repair , and my kids had a massive pool party planned for Memorial Day . I'm keeping the 9300 and selling the Viva. The 9300 cleans my entire 25 x 40 IG vinyl pool even on the 1.3 hour long cycle . I like it over other robots for a few reasons :1) The filter takes a minute to clean versus the bags of the other robots. 2)The 9300 does not dump the dirt back in the pool as you are lifting it out of the pool . 3) The most expensive part of the Polaris 9300 is the motor block which is $366, and Polaris can easily be repaired by most pool stores without having to ship out , making it alot cheaper to maintain than other robots. I have tried The Aquabot turbo T4 RC, Blue Diamond RC, Dolphin RC , and I really am liking this 9300 . I paid $899 for it on the web (THANKS KEVIN)and then with the $150 rebate the total price will be $749 , I think it's well worth it .Just my .02

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I purchased a Polaris 9300 and like you, am disappointed. I've had it a month now and I am just not impressed. I've been a big fan of the Polaris 280 for a long time so when it was time to replace it I thought this would be a step up. Definitely not. More like a step down. I was happy because it didn't need a booster pump to work. However I find it's heavy to haul in and out of the pool, it stirs up more leaves and sand than it picks up. I've had to run it through five cycles to get a minimal amount of debris off the bottom of the pool. I called the company to see if there was anything to be adjusted and they said no. Just directed me to the nearest repair facility which is 45 minutes away. To anyone thinking of buying one of these, save your money.

I certainly agree "cleaners are meant to keep clean pools clean". I have several cleaners. Although, my current robot, is an old Aquabot, its cleaning action/function is more like the 9300 than say a suction or pressure cleaner . When I have even more EXTREME amount of sand/silt/dust, than our normal EXTREME amounts, I sometimes have to change out the fine filter bags every hour or so because they become clogged with the fine dust. This is when the suction cleaner is the best choice.

On another note..... Some of the newer robots move faster than the older models. I found information on the site, I love my Aquabot, recommendation for types of cleaners depending on the kind and amount of debris going into a pool. The slower moving 'bots, like the original Aquabot, move much more slowly than some of the new ones, stirring up the bottom much less. The slower speed may take longer to clean the pool but hardly anything gets stirred up. 'bot with more jets action also stir up the fine debris more. I traded my Vero 300 for an old, used, reconditioned Aquabot. The main reason I traded was because the Vero 300 couldn't make the climb to the shallow end after a few minutes when the bag was beginning to clog. After using the old Aquabot I discovered that, although they moved about the same speed, the jet action of the Vero was stirring up more fine debris on the bottom.

This is why I always ask people, who are considering different cleaners, "What kind of debris and how much goes into your pool?"

gg=alice

I got mine for $899 at poolsupplyworld.com. Then go online to print up the rebate for$150. that's the best deal on the web. However, not a great deal if it doesn't work well. Hope you have a better experience than I am having.

Also, geekgranny has a good point. It does go faster than my earlier model and so does stir up the debris on the bottom of the pool. I'll ask the company if somehow it can be slowed down. Maybe mine is running too fast.

> got mine for $899 at poolsupplyworld.com. Then go online to print up the rebate for $150.

anyone recently purchased using this method?
any offers or specials this month?

considering the polaris 9300 or polaris 280

susa said:
> got mine for $899 at poolsupplyworld.com. Then go online to print up the rebate for $150.

anyone recently purchased using this method?
any offers or specials this month?

considering the polaris 9300 or polaris 280

I haven't seen any coupons or rebates for the 9300 Sport. If you don't already have a booster pump, I say get the 9300 or another Robotic Pool Cleaner. I have heard the 9300 isn't as effected by water temperature as other brands that start to have performance fall-off below 55 degrees.

> If you don't already have a booster pump, I say get the 9300 or another Robotic Pool Cleaner.

don't think I would need a booster pump with the IntelliFlow VF as it appears capable of running just about anything

susa said:
> If you don't already have a booster pump, I say get the 9300 or another Robotic Pool Cleaner.

don't think I would need a booster pump with the IntelliFlow VF as it appears capable of running just about anything
Yes, you would still need a booster pump. The 280 and 380 require very high pressure, which circulation pumps (including VF) are not designed to generate. Booster pumps have different impeller/diffuser designs which produce low volume/high pressure.

The polaris 360 and pressure-side The Pool Cleaner don't require a booster pump;there may be others as well. Either of those are worth considering, though I haven't heard all that many opinions of the 360. The Pool Cleaner is highly recommended around here.

since it's not yet been mentioned, the Tigershark robotic by AquaVac is the only robotic that uses a cartridge filter. All others use a mesh bag which will not remove debris as small as the cartridge. Upside - pool is cleaned better. Downside - you'll clean the cartridges more often.

Ranger987 said:
since it's not yet been mentioned, the Tigershark robotic by AquaVac is the only robotic that uses a cartridge filter. All others use a mesh bag which will not remove debris as small as the cartridge. Upside - pool is cleaned better. Downside - you'll clean the cartridges more often.

Haven't seen the Tigershark Cartridge, but the Polaris 9300 Sport doesn't use a bag either. It uses a Filter Canister. Unlike some other cleaners when one lifts it out of the water when its done, only water comes out, no debris runs back into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.