Getting Frustrated... How long does this take?UPDATED W/PICS

Apr 26, 2010
Plano, TX
So I started treating for BA over 1 1/2 weeks ago. Got FC to 40ppm kept it there. Brushed like crazy. Pool looks great. Water is sparkling clear. I have been holding FC around 25-30ppm and brushing at least once a day and shooting for twice a day. We had a lot of BA to begin with. It is practically gone and I go from thinking, Okay we got this, to being frustrated because I see new algae growing it places it wasn't before. The lowest FC has gotten is 17ppm. But it is definitely still coming back.

What should I be doing differently and how long can I expect this process to take? I am just getting frustrated. How can the BA still be growing back with FC so high?

Thanks.

Re: Getting Frustrated... How long does this take?

If you really have black algae, it is extremely difficult to get rid of. What does your algae look like? Why do you think it is black algae? Black algae doesn't get started easily. You can only get it if you have had your FC level consistently too low for a long time. Likewise, it can take a long time to get rid of it.

You should post a complete set of water test results. Various levels, most importantly the CYA level, can dramatically influence what you need to do to fight algae.

I am very positive it is black algae. Had it all last summer and tried to get rid of it with algaecide. It is small black circles on sides and bottom of pool. I am sure our FC has never been right. My DH takes care of the pool and isn't too consistent with it. This is the first time I am trying to take it over. This is the closest we have ever been to getting rid of it. And we are pretty close. I just don't understand why I keep seeing more popping up.

Here are my current numbers:

FC = 30 was 17 this morning added 6 gallons bleach went to 25.5 this evening, added 2 more gallons. Filter running 24/7

Haven't tested the other numbers recently but this is from April 29th:

CC= 0.5
PH =7.5
TA-=130
CH =450
CYA=50
Temp =72

I also have metal staining, rust spots, and possibly dark brown, oblong organic staining. I know I can't treat with abscorbic acid right now but would a metal suquestrant help me at all?

Thanks,
Brooke

Your TA and CH levels are both a little high, which makes you more prone to metals stains. CH is difficult to change, but you can start bringing the TA level down a bit by lowering the PH to 7.2.

If there are still metals in the water, then adding sequestrant will help. However, it is perfectly possible that all of the metals have already deposited as stains.

There are a couple of different ways to fight black algae. The most tedious but in many ways the simplest is to maintain shock level and brush as frequently as possible. Make sure you are using a steel bristle or mixed steel/poly bristle brush. This can take a long time to work.

Another approach is to use a pressure washer while at shock level. This requires having a pressure washer, knowing how to use it, and a little care so you don't damage the plaster by leaving it pointed in one spot too long.

Another approach is to rub the black algae spots with a trichlor tablet. This is impractical if the black algae has already spread beyond a small area.

So I will lower the TA a bit with some acid. Otherwise, just keep brushing and shocking? What shock level should I aim for at this point? Normal Shock level or higher? Is it going to hurt anything to keep FC so high for so long?

Normal shock level is fine as long as you maintain it all the time. Normal shock level won't cause any long term damage. It is the brushing while at shock level that is the crucial step.

The water...
May2010119-1.jpg

May2010124.jpg

Metal Staining...
May2010129.jpg

May2010126.jpg

Organic staining...
May2010128.jpg

Black Algae...
May2010132.jpg

May2010127.jpg

Rust Stains...
May2010131.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Several of those marks do not look like black algae to me, though others might be. Two tests that would be good to do are: Scratch one of the marks with your finger nail and then rub what you scraped off onto a piece of white paper. If it is black algae it will look green on the paper. If it isn't black algae, try holding a vitamin C tablet against one of the spots for 30 seconds and see what happens.

Not all the pics show BA. I labeled the pics above. I am fairly certain what each one is.

Here are my new numbers:

Fc=15.5
CC=0
TC=15.5
TA=120
PH=7.5
CH=430, but no cloudiness
CYA=45

But I am sure the BA keeps reappearing. Any guess as to how long I am going to have to keep pool at shock level and run 24/7 until it is completely gone?

So I did an overnight FC loss test last night. I got 20.5ppm and my husband did it and got 20ppm at 9:30pm last night. I tested twice again this morning at 6:30am and got 19.5ppm and 20ppm. So am I not sure how I would know if I lost less than 0.5ppm when I can't get the same number twice in a row.

You are very close, +-one drop, so I call that no FC loss overnight. Unfortunately, in the case of black algae, that doesn't prove that you have gotten rid of all of the algae. Black algae is stubborn and can come back even after you think you have gotten it all.

Your black algae spots appear to be few and relatively far between. It might be practical to try rubbing each spot with a trichlor tablet to see if that can get rid of it.

That is good to know. Hopefully, we have almost gotten it all. My husband thinks I have black spots on my eyes from brushing and staring at it too long because he doesn't see any, but I am sure there is still some there. But soooo much less than we started with. I am going to let FC drop some so that we can get in the water and rub the spots with the tablets. Is 8-10ppm to high to let my kids swim in? We want to swim on Sunday and I am not sure if FC will drop fast enough.

Thank you for all your help.

Water is clear. Spots are minimal. And FC is holding overnight. So I think I will just keep FC around 10ppm for a while and keep brushing. This site has helped so much and my pool really hasn't looked this good in a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.