White underwater epoxy

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
The leaks around my drains were fixed using a 2 part epoxy putty that hardens underwater. Anyone know where I can get some? I've got a small bit of metal in my pebble tec plaster that is rusting. I want to chip it out and fill the hole with the epoxy.

How big is the metal piece? I wonder if it would be possible to glaze over it with a dab of clear epoxy so that you don't have to chip out any of your pebble tec.

I worry about you trying to get the piece out without knowing just how much of it is really in there. You could end up chipping out more than you bargained for.

Is your pool still under warranty? Might be good to let the PB resolve it if it is.

lborne try West Marine or a Marine Boat store. We were heavy into big boating before we retired to the pool world.

257WbyMag said:
How big is the metal piece? I wonder if it would be possible to glaze over it with a dab of clear epoxy so that you don't have to chip out any of your pebble tec.

I worry about you trying to get the piece out without knowing just how much of it is really in there. You could end up chipping out more than you bargained for.

Is your pool still under warranty? Might be good to let the PB resolve it if it is.

Thanks. Its about 2 x 3 mm. When brushed, it just looks like a black spec in the normal pebble tec, but then after a day it is larger and turns rust colored. I have access to some underwater tools so was going to grind it down just a bit and epoxy over it.

Yes it still in warranty and I've got several other things I want the PB to fix (couple other rust spots in the tile grout area) but he's been unresponsive. Getting to where its just easier for me to fix myself.

lborne said:
Getting to where its just easier for me to fix myself.

I hear you there. Sometimes when you want something done and done right, it's best to just do it yourself.

I've never been one to delegate much. It's a flaw of mine. :-D

Black algae or rusting metal chip?

In a previous post I mentioned that I think I have a small metal chip in my paster that is rusting. Its very small - smaller than a pea, but left for a day, it grows to about double its size. When brushed, it looks like rust and plumes of rust can be seen coming off, and then its back down to its small size.

Using a tube I put muratic acid on it which just made it turn rust colored until I brushed it and it is back to a blackish color.

I caled the PB and he is saying its black algae (although he has not come out to look) and so I just need to shock the pool.

CYA = 80
CH = 7, but did go down to 5 one day while my SWG was being fixed.
Ph = 7.6
All other numbers are within range.

One other note - I did add extra salt by mistake and am at 4700 instead of 3500 and that is about when this stain appeared (out of nowhere).

How can I check to see if it is algae or not? If it is black algae, and I scrubbed it with a chlorine tablet, would it go away?

Re: Black algae or rusting metal chip?

Um...I'm going with rusty piece of metal on this one.

If it is black algae and you scrape it with a trichlor tablet, it will go away.

I hope you are right. From what I can tell, black algae can't be made smaller simply brushing with a nylon brush and would not release a plume when brushed - correct?

Whereas the metal rusts and stains the plaster around it which makes it look bigger until I brush the rust stains away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

lborne said:
I hope you are right. From what I can tell, black algae can't be made smaller simply brushing with a nylon brush and would not release a plume when brushed - correct?

Whereas the metal rusts and stains the plaster around it which makes it look bigger until I brush the rust stains away.

Right. That and the fact that your salt level is higher than called for might give a little more corrosive effect to the water than it normally would have.

Can you take a picture? I'm a little curious since there was a thread on here a little while ago (can't find it now) where someone was considering a pebble color that had a lot of magnetic (read easily oxidized iron) material in it.

After taking some underwater photos at lunch, I think it is clearly some metal just under the plaster rusting through. Below are 2 photos - the first before brushing and the second after brushing. The rust growth is evident in the first photo. The black splotch to the left is ??? - must be a dark color pebble. Got lots of blue and grey, some black and even a few red pebbles in the mix. Or more likely, its also a piece of metal just under the plaster surface.

Wedding ring thrown into second photo for size ref.

What does everyone think?

[attachment=0:2ne3sjnx]P5054302.jpg[/attachment:2ne3sjnx]

[attachment=1:2ne3sjnx]P5054313.jpg[/attachment:2ne3sjnx]

Attachments

• P5054313.jpg
    P5054313.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 193
  • P5054302.jpg
    P5054302.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 193
I've got the exact same problem in the 2 shallow end corners except its coming through the tile grout. Odd because there was no hint of rebar coming out of the shell, and the plaster went on pretty thick. I do think it is rebar at the corners - but this spot could just be a piece of metal that was in the mixer - ????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.