Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White underwater epoxy

1. Back To Top    #1

White underwater epoxy

The leaks around my drains were fixed using a 2 part epoxy putty that hardens underwater. Anyone know where I can get some? I've got a small bit of metal in my pebble tec plaster that is rusting. I want to chip it out and fill the hole with the epoxy.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White underwater epoxy

How big is the metal piece? I wonder if it would be possible to glaze over it with a dab of clear epoxy so that you don't have to chip out any of your pebble tec.

I worry about you trying to get the piece out without knowing just how much of it is really in there. You could end up chipping out more than you bargained for.

Is your pool still under warranty? Might be good to let the PB resolve it if it is.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

lborne try West Marine or a Marine Boat store. We were heavy into big boating before we retired to the pool world.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

MarineTex is the product you're looking for.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I've bought it a Leslie's before. http://www.aplusbputty.com/

Works Great! You can call them and see if they carry it at a Vero Beach Store. Aplusbputty's website says Leslie's carries it.

Goo Luck!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    How big is the metal piece? I wonder if it would be possible to glaze over it with a dab of clear epoxy so that you don't have to chip out any of your pebble tec.

I worry about you trying to get the piece out without knowing just how much of it is really in there. You could end up chipping out more than you bargained for.

Is your pool still under warranty? Might be good to let the PB resolve it if it is.
    Thanks. Its about 2 x 3 mm. When brushed, it just looks like a black spec in the normal pebble tec, but then after a day it is larger and turns rust colored. I have access to some underwater tools so was going to grind it down just a bit and epoxy over it.

Yes it still in warranty and I've got several other things I want the PB to fix (couple other rust spots in the tile grout area) but he's been unresponsive. Getting to where its just easier for me to fix myself.
    Solar heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by lborne
    Getting to where its just easier for me to fix myself.
    I hear you there. Sometimes when you want something done and done right, it's best to just do it yourself.

I've never been one to delegate much. It's a flaw of mine.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    "It depends."- JohnT

8. Back To Top    #8

Black algae or rusting metal chip?

In a previous post I mentioned that I think I have a small metal chip in my paster that is rusting. Its very small - smaller than a pea, but left for a day, it grows to about double its size. When brushed, it looks like rust and plumes of rust can be seen coming off, and then its back down to its small size.

Using a tube I put muratic acid on it which just made it turn rust colored until I brushed it and it is back to a blackish color.

I caled the PB and he is saying its black algae (although he has not come out to look) and so I just need to shock the pool.

CYA = 80
    CH = 7, but did go down to 5 one day while my SWG was being fixed.
    Ph = 7.6
    All other numbers are within range.

One other note - I did add extra salt by mistake and am at 4700 instead of 3500 and that is about when this stain appeared (out of nowhere).

How can I check to see if it is algae or not? If it is black algae, and I scrubbed it with a chlorine tablet, would it go away?
    Solar heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Black algae or rusting metal chip?

Um...I'm going with rusty piece of metal on this one.

If it is black algae and you scrape it with a trichlor tablet, it will go away.
    "It depends."- JohnT

10. Back To Top    #10

I hope you are right. From what I can tell, black algae can't be made smaller simply brushing with a nylon brush and would not release a plume when brushed - correct?

Whereas the metal rusts and stains the plaster around it which makes it look bigger until I brush the rust stains away.
    Solar heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by lborne
    I hope you are right. From what I can tell, black algae can't be made smaller simply brushing with a nylon brush and would not release a plume when brushed - correct?

Whereas the metal rusts and stains the plaster around it which makes it look bigger until I brush the rust stains away.
    Right. That and the fact that your salt level is higher than called for might give a little more corrosive effect to the water than it normally would have.
    "It depends."- JohnT

12. Back To Top    #12

If you scrape a little bit of the spot off with your fingernail and rub it on a piece of white paper, algae will look green, while rust will look red/brown.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you take a picture? I'm a little curious since there was a thread on here a little while ago (can't find it now) where someone was considering a pebble color that had a lot of magnetic (read easily oxidized iron) material in it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

14. Back To Top    #14

After taking some underwater photos at lunch, I think it is clearly some metal just under the plaster rusting through. Below are 2 photos - the first before brushing and the second after brushing. The rust growth is evident in the first photo. The black splotch to the left is ??? - must be a dark color pebble. Got lots of blue and grey, some black and even a few red pebbles in the mix. Or more likely, its also a piece of metal just under the plaster surface.

Wedding ring thrown into second photo for size ref.

What does everyone think?

[attachment=0:2ne3sjnx]P5054302.jpg[/attachment:2ne3sjnx]

[attachment=1:2ne3sjnx]P5054313.jpg[/attachment:2ne3sjnx]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Solar heat

15. Back To Top    #15

I've posted a photo before and after brushing in this post....

post170093.html#p170093

Feel free to delete this post. I should have only started one.

Topic merged. JasonLion
    Solar heat

16. Back To Top    #16

Rebar? Those two spots seem too big to be merely an iron-rich pebble (you can see the spot surrounds/includes/stains several pebbles).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

17. Back To Top    #17

I've got the exact same problem in the 2 shallow end corners except its coming through the tile grout. Odd because there was no hint of rebar coming out of the shell, and the plaster went on pretty thick. I do think it is rebar at the corners - but this spot could just be a piece of metal that was in the mixer - ????
    Solar heat

18. Back To Top    #18

Maybe not rebar, but it certainly looks like it's coming from behind the plaster. Hopefully one of the pros will offer their wise counsel...

19. Back To Top    #19

Could be the wire tie for the rebar??? You should see if you have someone that can do underwater repair, We have a guy out West called The Pool Dentist.

20. Back To Top    #20

Does everyone agree that my photos are of rusting metal? PB came by and looked (but without getting into the pool) and said he still thinks it is some kind of algae because he's never seen rust spots in plaster.
    Solar heat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast