Easier way to add Chlorine

May 13, 2009
Benton LA 71006
Is there an easier way to add chlorine to the pool? This will be my first start up using BBB. We will starting over with a new liner and want to do it right. Last year I could not find concentrated chlorine so was stuck with a bunch of jugs. Is actually pouring the bleach in manually the only way?

Yes, the bleach jugs can get tiresome. The best option, as zea3 suggested, is a SWCG. It does requires an outlay of cash, but it is a predictable and efficient way to maintain FC.

Have you checked around for more concentrated forms of sodium hypochlorite? This seems to be a regional thing as far as the availability of it is concerned, but buying 10% and 12.5% sodium hypochlorite has the advantage of being more concentrated (less bulk). Some pool stores carry it and allow you to purchase it by using refillable containers called carboys. Look around and see what you can uncover.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that SWG wouldn't work in our above ground. We haven't filled the pool yet-- thought I would mention that we are on a well and put a water softener on our system in Nov. Will this affect any of the chemicals? I will check some more on the 12.5% chlorine but it is not carried at any of our pool stores. Does any one have any experience with the liquidator system?

gtrum60 said:
Thanks for the reply. I thought that SWG wouldn't work in our above ground. We haven't filled the pool yet-- thought I would mention that we are on a well and put a water softener on our system in Nov. Will this affect any of the chemicals? I will check some more on the 12.5% chlorine but it is not carried at any of our pool stores. Does any one have any experience with the liquidator system?

I'm in my 3rd year with my Liquidator, and I like it. Some folks have problems with deposits, but I don't, and I'm on well water.

A SWCG will work fine on an AG pool. You'll probably have to go to hard plumbing to add it, but that's not a big deal.

As my daddy would say, there's more than one way to skin a cat! :) (has nothing to do with the furry animal)

A SWCG is certainly an option, A Liquidator would do it (see my sig), A peristaltic pump and then there's chlorine gas injection. All of which work and all have their drawbacks.

An SWCG works well but requires a substantial investment and adding salt to you pool. Requires periodic maintenance.

The Liquidator works but requires modification after purchase to perform well. Lower cash outlay, but still requires you to handle the exact same amount of chlorine, you just add it 4 or 8 gallons every month or two instead of a little each day. Requires very infrequent maintenance.

The peristaltic pump setup costs a little more than the Liquidator but not as much as a SWCG. You still have to add chlorine periodically and there is a little maintenance. It requires a timer for proper operation.

Chlorine gas injection. It's fairly impractical for home use so I won't go into the pros and cons of it.

There are a couple of interesting items that have made it to the forum lately and therefore bears mentioning. One is the Chlorine Geni, which appears to be a mini chlor-alkali cell that generates chlorine gas and the other is a syphon device called the metchlor <sp>. it uses a solenoid to control the flow of liquid chlorine to the pool. It has a sibling for ABG's that use a IV drip type setup to flow the chlorine to the pool.

Thanks for all the info. Until I can research what will work best for us I'll just get jugs. Really do appreciate all the suggestions. We will be in Houston this weekend and maybe ina bigger city I can find the concentrated chlorine. We haven't put the liner in yet so next week I will picking your brains on start-up procedures. Thanks again

I'm looking at this too.
I've seen the Liquidator mentioned... but haven't found a website that sells them, so I don't have an idea on price.
I like the idea of the SWG, but can't do it this year.

I'll probably just go with jugs this year. I'm going to look around locally for concentrated liquid chlorine. The Goodall pool place says they don't touch it. (Figures) And their SWG was over $1,000 for my AGP. I'm pretty sure I'd find it cheaper online.

I can do Wallyworld's (WalMart) bleach runs as necessary on my way home from work.

You can also look at your local farm/home store such as TSC, Rural King, Big R or similar. I saw walmart had hth 10% liquid shock/chlorine but were charging 10.97 for 2 gallons...not a good price.

Good luck. At least the jugs are recyclable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
The Liquidator works but requires modification after purchase to perform well. Lower cash outlay, but still requires you to handle the exact same amount of chlorine, you just add it 4 or 8 gallons every month or two instead of a little each day. Requires very infrequent maintenance.
There are a couple of interesting items that have made it to the forum lately and therefore bears mentioning. One is the Chlorine Geni, which appears to be a mini chlor-alkali cell that generates chlorine gas and the other is a syphon device called the metchlor <sp>. it uses a solenoid to control the flow of liquid chlorine to the pool. It has a sibling for ABG's that use a IV drip type setup to flow the chlorine to the pool.

Does anyone know, are the Liquidator or Metchlor options for folks in Texas who can only access chlorine a la jugs of Chlorox? If they support configuring the chlorine concentration, then possibly they are an option.

Also, does anyone know the ballpark price of the Chlorine Geni? I went through their web site, but the order PDF, that presumably inculdes pricing would not open. Makes it a little hard for them to sell much, I suppose. ; )

I use regular clorox (6%) bleach in my liquidator all the time. It has a flow meter that you adjust to increase or decrease the flow. You'd adjust it higher for lower concentration bleach and lower for higher concentrations.

The chlorine geni is listed on the website for $2995.

The liquidator sounds like what I need to eventually go to. Thanks for that info. Now if someone could help me get the pool started this season. I started BBB late last season and I'm not familiar enough yet with the program. We just put a new liner in so we are starting from scratch. Took 2.5 days to fill the pool (well water with a softener) but we are there. I took a sample to the pool store mainly for the metals and to get stabilizer, anyway here are the tests results:

TC 1.0
FC 1.0
Ph 8.0
TA 200
CH 100
CYA 30

I have been racking my brain at these results because I have not added any chlorine or stabilizer or anything for that matter to get these numbers. Can someone help me get started on what to do first? I'm thinking it would be getting the ph down which I use muriatic acid. But can I add some chlorine right away also before if turns green. Right now its clear but the iron in our well water has oxidized and turned brownish. I'm just not sure on when to add what and how long to wait in between additions.

Tammy

I wouldn't be surprised if the FC test result was just wrong. Pool store water tests are not all that reliable.

Yes, add acid to get your PH down to 7.2 and chlorine to get your FC level up to around 6.

You should get your own top quality water test kit. I recommend the TF-100 from TFTestKits.Net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. In the long run a great test kit will more than pay for it's self in saving on chemicals and reduced numbers of problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.