Question about plumbing in my new pool.

Apr 21, 2010
I have two skimmers, a pair of main drains in the deep end, and another pair of main drains on the wall in the shallow end. The pair of main drains in the shallow end were evidently a mistake because no matter what I do they never suck water in. I have two valves for water coming in. One valve controls BOTH skimmers. The other valve controls the main drains in the deep end. Does this sound right? I showed this to my builder and he didn't have an answer about the main drains in the shallow end, but said both skimmers should be on one valve, just like it is. Looking for some advice from those who know better.

Ok, the first picture shows my valves, the valve on the right is attached to my spa main drains, the valve on the left is attached to the pair of main drains in the deep end & the valve in the middle is attached to the skimmers. The second picture shows the two main drains in the deep end. They are attached to the valve on the left in the first picture. The third picture shows the main drains in the shallow end, they DO NOT suck water in, no matter how I set the valves, they are just there, doing nothing. If it sounds confusing, let me know & I will try to clarify. Thanks in advance.........Jason.

Attachments

• Shallow end main drains.jpg
    Shallow end main drains.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Deep end main drains.jpg
    Deep end main drains.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Intake Valves.jpg
    Intake Valves.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 168
If its plumbed right, the main drains actually come up into the skimmer. If you take out the basket in your skimmer, you should two open pipes, one goes to two drains and the other has suction from your pump. I think I got that right. Anybody want to chime in?? Also, you might check to see if your equalizer in your skimmer is wide open, it might be closed and not sucking from your drain.

salp said:
If its plumbed right, the main drains actually come up into the skimmer.
That would be what I would call plumbed wrong. You never want the main drain coming up into the skimmer in a residential pool, though it is done often enough to save money. Commercial pools have setups that work something like that for the equalizer line, but that isn't what you want in a residential pool.

The only times I have seen drains on the wall of the pool like that they were either directly below a skimmer or were designed to feed a waterfall, or other major water feature, using a separate pump.

I do have a water feature and I do have to inlets (drain covers) that feed my feature that are on the side. Jason, thanks for correcting me, although, most of the residential pools I see have the main drain plumbed that way! :whip:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The three valves on the left control water feature, pool return, and spa return. In that order from left to right. Is this normal or did this Rear clown of a pool builder just screw me completely?

It seems normal to me. You also have three suction lines on the main pump. Do you know which is which of those? Then next is the booster pump discharge, booster pump suction and blower discharge.

Since your booster pump has a separate suction I'd bet that's what those shallow end mains are for.

The three lines on the main pump are: main drain, skimmers, and spa main drains. In that order from left to right. The booster pump does not suck water in from the main drains in the shallow end. I thought about that earlier, but no luck.

The plumbing appears fine. Was there a time when the water feature was to be on it's own pump and then plans changed? It's possible, it that was the case, that that was not passed on to the plumbing plan during construction.

Since I don't see a spare, capped line, I suggest removing the side suction outlet covers and checking/plugging the line ports in the drain pot and then putting the covers back on. No one will know the difference except you. Should the builder compensate you for his error? If the drains were run to the pad and just buried, I would want him to bring them above ground and able to be capped with a threaded fitting.

Scott

Scott, I was thinking along the same lines, r.e.: pull one of the drain covers off and see what's in there. Who knows? Maybe one of the rocket scientists didn't pull the plugs before installing the covers :hammer:

Anyway, it only takes a couple minutes to remove a cover and see what's going on inside.

please keep us posted on this - I'm just a quiver with curiosity :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.