Diving Board Base?? Help

Apr 25, 2008
Our pool is several, well, many years old and so is the diving board. The base finally cracked and needs replaced. It is so old the bolts and nuts have rusted together. We are having a terrible time just removing the base. I believe it can be replaced with a La Mesa dive stand and matches the jig perfectly. Problem is the protruding jig bolts are so rusted. My assumption is, though, the jig is in the concrete and it ain't coming out... is this correct? My father-in-law has suggested welding new bolts to the jig as this should be as strong as the original. I assume only other option is to cut out concrete, insert new jig and pour new concrete? Anyone have experience or thoughts on this issue? I know a lot of people are staying away from diving boards these days, but we love ours and would like to save it!
Thanks,
Amy

If you really want to save it get some PB Blaster and soak the bolts & nuts good several times over a few days then try and remove them. You'd be amazed how good that stuff works. Once off you can decide what to do about the jig.

The bolts/jig could not be saved. There is not enough left sticking out of the concrete to attached another base. One pool store guy suggested we drill slightly behind the last bolts and put in bolts with claws that open up once they get under the concrete (sorry, I know those aren't the proper terms). I am concerned those just won't be sturdy enough. Could we cement those in somehow and also apply some kind of adhesive to attach the base to the concrete along with the bolts. Another said the only option is to cut out a huge section of concrete and start with a new jig and pour new concrete. We just can't afford that option this year; however, if it means sacrificing safety we obviously will just forgo the diving board this year. Any suggestions on a safe, yet cost effective way to install the diving board?

Thanks!

I guess it's pretty much installing a diving board after a pool is installed at this point, but can you do that?

I agree with mart242 on the wedge anchors. Certainly try this before removing concrete. There is also industrial strength epoxy that is used to anchor rebar into concrete, and you could use this in conjunction with the wedge anchors to give you a little extra insurance. If the wedge anchors fail you can always resort to concrete removal.

Just my 2 cents.

While epoxy, wedge anchors, etc might work, I know I would not want to risk something going really really wrong. The proper fix for this is to tear out the old jig and replace it with a new one. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's the proper fix. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, but what if you, your child, or a friends child was on that diving board and it gave way? To me , diving boards, slides, etc are liabilites in the best of cases. There is no need to make that liability worse with a "fix" thats not up to proper standards. Again, I'm not trying to lecture anyone and really dont want it to come across that way. Just an opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can say that I would decline to do this type of work, as I could not guarantee it would be safe in the end. Scott (PollGuyNJ) is right, unless you are willing to cut out the entire area, set a new jig, and replace the concrete. There is no way that I would want to assume someones safety with any other installation practice.

How about a jump rock? Kids (and us old farts that are refusing to grow up :cool: ) love to climb on a rock and jump in the pool. They add an element of nature around the pool and do not rust! I would much rather see a nice rock (or rock grouping of various heights) than a slab of Fibreglas any day!

I can say that I would decline to do this type of work, as I could not guarantee it would be safe in the end. Scott (PollGuyNJ) is right, unless you are willing to cut out the entire area, set a new jig, and replace the concrete. There is no way that I would want to assume someones safety with any other installation practice.

How about a jump rock? Kids (and us old farts that are refusing to grow up :cool: ) love to climb on a rock and jump in the pool. They add an element of nature around the pool and do not rust! I would much rather see a nice rock (or rock grouping of various heights) than a slab of Fibreglas any day!
Chose your rock carefully . One that has a lot of iron mineral deposits in it will stain the surrounding deck as it mixes with chlorine . We removed our jump rock and installed a concrete platform for that reason .

Attachments

• A165C709-7CCE-404A-B89A-E7FE847CF486.jpeg
    A165C709-7CCE-404A-B89A-E7FE847CF486.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 54F8E912-B336-4B3A-A28D-9F6D9BC511CC.jpeg
    54F8E912-B336-4B3A-A28D-9F6D9BC511CC.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 29
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.