Solar collector advice - Sunsaver vs. Sungrabber

May 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I've been researching a while to replace existing IG solar collector system. Fafco seems quite popular, especially out here on the West Coast. I'd like to get about 280 sq. ft. of surface area, so I'm looking at something like the Sunsaver 4' x 12' collectors, 6 of them positioned vertically. Or perhaps the Sungrabber 2' x 20' collectors, 7 of them positioned horizontally. I've also run across Vortex 4' x 12' panels online which are priced somewhat reasonable.

Can someone tell me specifically what the difference is between the Sunsaver and Sungrabber panels, other than obviously their dimensions? I haven't been able to get a reasonable response out of local solar retailers other than:

"they are cheaper"
"they don't last as long"
"they sell them online"
"we don't even carry them"
"they are for AG pools"

Local retailers have quoted $300-400 per 4' x 12' collector for Sunsaver, while Sungrabber can be had online for about 1/3 that price (w/ IG kit). They also carry a 10 year warranty, while I think the Sunsaver is 12 year. Any justification for 3X the price?

We have Solar Bears from FAFCO. The Sunsaver panels are intended for IG pools. I haven't seen too much about these even on the FAFCO site, info is limited on what the differences are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.