the clorine geni

That's a tiny version of the diaphragm cell chlor-alkali process. Yes it makes Chlorine but it also makes Hydrogen and Caustic that has to be disposed of.

I have no idea how it works in a swimming pool but apparently they're injecting chlorine gas into the water somehow.

I'd sure like to know more.

Like I am going to trust this guy who says I can reduce my filter time, only need $10 of salt a year, don't need more balancing chems, doesn't connect to the plumbing so it sits at the pool, waiting to be knocked over by a kid playing or a big goofy dog, shocking everyone, literally, does reverse osmosis. doesn't acknowledge that chlorine gas is quite corrosive, doesn't acknowledge that calcium is needed in many pools, and as far as I know, salt cells are not illegal anywhere, nor is there a serious risk that they will be made illegal.

Scott

That is ancient technology, the old way of making a SWG that no one uses any more. There are many problems with the old systems, like that one, which have all be fixed in modern SWGs. The most significant problem with those systems is that the brine tank solution becomes extremely corrosive over time and need to be cleaned out regularly. There also tended to be problems keeping the chlorine feed rate uniform, and if chlorine gas leaked out (quite unlikely but possible) it could kill you.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Like I am going to trust this guy who says I can reduce my filter time, only need $10 of salt a year
Scott
why wouldn't you?
majority of people run their pump for longer than they need to, purely because of the need for SWG to generate enough chlorine.

Also in a system with a brine tank you might only need 10 bucks worth of salt. Depends on your chlorine demand.

keep in mind that there are no splashouts/overfills/backwashes which are the usual cause for loss of salt, and every gram of salt gets used toward chlorine production, unlike an inline system where it's used to create a salt concentration.

i couldn't find anywhere what is it that this unit actually produces, chlorine gas or hypochlorite solution.
if it's hypochlorite, then the unit looks similar to our Chlorogen range, with the exception that Chlorogen is designed to be hooked up to a dosing pump and not sit on the side of the pool.

but yeah, personally I wouldn't trust a guy whose website only has 1 page loaded with sales slogans and no technical specs of the unit.

I went back and looked again and although there is no technical info it looks to be the membrane process instead of the diaphragm process but it's chlorine gas that they're producing and wet chlorine at that, which is really corrosive. Now, if I had a hydrogen fueled car and a wood pulp plant at the house I'd consider getting one. :mrgreen:

I have one of these Chlorine Geni units, bought used off craigslist. Best investment for my pool I have ever made. The unit takes tap water, runs it through a reverse osmosis filter to elimnate water minerals, then trickles it into the brine tank. With a timer, it sends the filtered water into a cell where the electrodes zap the salt water. One tube plumbed directly to the pool is where pure liquid chlorine is introduced, and although corrosive, the installation instructions are quite specific to be safe. The amount of chlorine needed is adjusted by how long you allow the timer to trickle the chlorine into your pool. Too little = add time, too much = cut back time. Another tube drains away the remaining solution, and a vent on the unit eliminates any residual gas. The unit has a method to clean the electrodes, thus no constant replacement of cells. The unit is supposed to have a life span of 15 to 20 years! We have had the unit working for over a year, and do not have any of the problems or expense normally associated with a SW pool system. The stabilizers in dry chlorine that can cause the cyanuric levels to rise are no longer an issue. As for shocking anyone, the electrodes are inside, in housings that cannot be touched or even seen. You literally use only a few bags of salt per year, and can chemically treat your pool for other issues that may need attention. The brine tank could be secured so not to tip over from rowdy kids, but when filled with water and salt, like any other water softener type tank, it is pretty heavy. I guess my confidence level in purchasing this was due to accolades from other users, and the fact that the manufacturer is nearby my home, and always avaliable by phone or email for my questions. I have always had pools since childhood, and have had my current pool for over 30 yrs. I look forward to never buying any chlorine again.

Reactions: BowserB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strannik said:
as far as i understand, the R/O process is used to clean the incoming tap water, not the outgoing hypochlorite solution

Strannink! That is correct, how much brine(waste water) is lost during the R/O Process. Unless you have a way to produce high pressure (200 psi) you really end up losing more brine then pure water. Example, the under sink r/o units that you can purchase at Home Depot, purify about 25% and wastes 75%. Not very efficient.

Everyone has their opinions, but in mine, Long Time Pool Gal's post sounds awfully "marketing"-ish for your ordinary pool owner. I would expect an "In The Industry" moniker on 'her' tag.
Statements like having no "problems or expense normally associated with a SW pool system" and "the fact that the manufacturer is nearby my home, and always avaliable by phone or email for my questions" just scream "SHILL!" in my head.

Naturally, that's just me, and I'm sure that everything here is above board and legit.

I'm in total agreement with you, Ohm_Boy. I also seem to be seeing a lot of first time posters lately that appear to be "trolls" (is anyone else seeing this, or am I just paranoid?). This one does seem blatant though.

long time pool gal said:
I have one of these Chlorine Geni units, bought used off craigslist. Best investment for my pool I have ever made. The unit takes tap water, runs it through a reverse osmosis filter to elimnate water minerals, then trickles it into the brine tank. With a timer, it sends the filtered water into a cell where the electrodes zap the salt water. One tube plumbed directly to the pool is where pure liquid chlorine is introduced, and although corrosive, the installation instructions are quite specific to be safe. The amount of chlorine needed is adjusted by how long you allow the timer to trickle the chlorine into your pool. Too little = add time, too much = cut back time. Another tube drains away the remaining solution, and a vent on the unit eliminates any residual gas. The unit has a method to clean the electrodes, thus no constant replacement of cells. The unit is supposed to have a life span of 15 to 20 years! We have had the unit working for over a year, and do not have any of the problems or expense normally associated with a SW pool system. The stabilizers in dry chlorine that can cause the cyanuric levels to rise are no longer an issue. As for shocking anyone, the electrodes are inside, in housings that cannot be touched or even seen. You literally use only a few bags of salt per year, and can chemically treat your pool for other issues that may need attention. The brine tank could be secured so not to tip over from rowdy kids, but when filled with water and salt, like any other water softener type tank, it is pretty heavy. I guess my confidence level in purchasing this was due to accolades from other users, and the fact that the manufacturer is nearby my home, and always avaliable by phone or email for my questions. I have always had pools since childhood, and have had my current pool for over 30 yrs. I look forward to never buying any chlorine again.

This is not trolling. Trolling is more like: ''lol u uze salt in pool? Gonna make your car rust like near da ocean!'' (rephrased sentence from Ecosmarte's website by the way, no kidding). This is Pool Chemical marketing at its best!

Half my customers who buy SWCG aren't aware the thing produce chlorine from salt, so, yeah, I'm a bit skeptical.

''I guess my confidence level in purchasing this was due to accolades from other users, and the fact that the manufacturer is nearby my home, and always avaliable by phone or email for my questions.''

Ahem... let me try...

''Seriously it ain't that bad! Bought it myself about a year ago from a friend in the company... My wife was worried because it was like very corrosive (is it? lol) but the instructions are clear how to prevent this and it gives crystal clear water so now it's more like a running gag. When he told me the thing had a life expectancy about thrice that of a SWCG, I was like, no you kiddin'?

Told me it was because it made gaz appart instead of being in the pool and the pool's chemicals... And the things heavy too... like not something my kids could topple!''

lol... try it, it is actually fun to write!

To all you suspicious of my first posting: no, I have absolutely no connection to the makers of the Chlorine Geni other than being a satisfied customer. I am not marketing for it or any other product, just thought this forum might want to hear from an actual user. I have had other exposures to salt water pool systems, with the issues that arise, and decided to try this one because 1) I did not want want to replace cells all the time, ouch! and 2) did not like the idea of dumping mounds of salt into a pool with a brand new liner. Sorry to read so many of you doubted my sincerity. The posting about the water input was interesting, the reverse osmosis system is for the incoming water, and goes through a flow restrictor, so there is not a lot of water gushing through as it works. There are solenoids that dispense the water flow through the unit to be fed to the cell where the electrodes are. You have the option of draining the water-mixed by product out to a safe location, away from plants, or choose not to drain at all. As the unit is pretty pricey, I was lucky to be able to pick mine up used for a very good price, and as I said before, it trickles pure chlorine into my pool and keeps it sparkling clean. IF you are still questioning how it works, maybe visiting the website or calling them would answer your questions. I'm not the most technical person, but I have tried to explain it as best I could, as an average pool owner could understand. Again, I am definately not affiliated, nor being compensated for submitting my opinions to this forum.

pool gal, you will still have to replace cells in Chlorine Geni, just maybe not as often, which is offset by it's dear price tag

in normal SWG systems, which are sized correctly for the application your cell will last you 5-10 years easily. so whoever told you that you have to replace cells all the time has lied.

I estimate my unit to be about 3 yrs old, and with a projected life span of perhaps 20 yrs, I have a long time before I have to replace the cells. If this stays running as it should, I should re coup my investment before next spring, considering the cost of chlorine, whether liquid, dry or tablet. (I told you I got it for a good price!) I have been told most salt water cells tend to last around 5 yrs or so, from the systems I have seen in other's pools. As I said, I wasn't thrilled at the cost and the idea of putting all that salt in with my new pool liner. And I really did not care for the thought of salt water splashing up on my metal pool structure or my decking. Only time will tell whether this was a good choice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.