Intellitouch Ecosmarte UV-C Amalgam

Jul 29, 2007
Hey there! :-D New here! Checking out you forum for advice! Planning a pool for about 1 yr. now... :lol:

Planning a UV-C pool and was trying to go chlorine free. Ever here of someone using Ecosmarte (copper ion plus oxygen generation electrodes)?

Was thinking of using that with an amalgam UV-C system (also produces ozone) since you normally don't use UV alone. Maybe the 200W ozone producing amalgams don't need much help. Say just copper ions?

The Ecosmarte seems to raise your PH like a salt system however so it may need an acid dosing system.

Also wondering if Intellitouch can control Ecosmarte... I would only want to get the base system since I would already have Intellitouch controls.

Another idea was to use H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide 35%) dosing with the UV + a cheaper copper/silver ion system in place of Ecosmarte.

Plumbing is also a question. Looks like I need one Intelliflow shared with the pool (27K gal) and spa/therapy (9K gal) sharing one AquaCal H155 heat pump (plus solar). The Intellitouch would auto switch back and forth to sanitize and heat both separately; right? This would go through a 36" sand filter w/Zeo glass media.

Then I would also need about a 1-1/2 hp for the spa jets (+ blower) & a third 3/4-hp pump for water features/slide?

Where does the main water return? I heard to put the returns down low for better heat distribution vs. near the top of the pool like you normally see.

Seems like the 2nd pump needs its own 30" sand filter also. I read you should not "jet" pump raw spa water in a loop w/o a filter. Note this would not be sanitized - the main intelliflow pump should keep up with that part. True?

The 3rd pump should have some filtration also? That would make a 3rd sand filter?

I don't know if I have ever seen one like this! But it seems like that is what would be ideal.

Comments PLEASE, LOL!

Planning == 27K gal pool + 9K gal hot tub/therapy pool

Baquacil is the only safe way to go chlorine free, and it comes with a host of problems. The copper Crud is nothing short of a scam. Copper is added to keep algae away(which it does pretty well), so you don't realize your pool is not being sanitized. You still need chlorine. A properly maintained chlorine pool is odorless and has no effect on swimmers. Why spend money on a system that will stain your pool and turn your hair green?

The UV and ozone systems are only supplements to real sanitizers (Chlorine). They only act on water that is in the device, and they leave no residual in the pool water, so passing germs between swimmers still happens.

Chlorine is the only reasonable option for safety.

I agree with JohnT. Ecosmarte actually requires chlorine to be safe. Their web site is misleading and carefully doesn't mention that. And once you have chlorine there is no point in getting the Ecosmarte system, which is really far more trouble than it is worth.

Almost all of the negative rap that chlorine gets is from badly maintained pools. If you take proper care of your pool there is no "chlorine" smell and the water isn't harsh at all. In my pool people are constantly asking what I use instead of chlorine, since they can't sense any of the negatives they normally associate with chlorine. I use chlorine from a salt water system.

If you have a true chlorine alergy/reaction, which is rather rare, Baquacil is your only alternative. Baquacil does work but it is far more trouble than chlorine and far more expensive. Baquacil system generally work quite well in the first year or two and then have more and more problems in subsequent years. The problems can be avoided with massive water replacement, but the cost and effort seem to mount as time goes on.

Thanks! Their web site does not really answer many questions. You always worry when the main emphasis is on testimony vs. charts, etc. What about a product called thechlorinefactory? It is pretty much a self contained salt system that has the salt in a brine tank & fills w/R.O. water. The chlorine is fed to the pool & also has a auto PH dosing since it keep the Lye/NaOH/Sodium Hydroxide in the tank & can add it as needed. That is pretty neat but costs $2800 I think. That keeps your water PH more stable since the OH is not aways fed into the pool like on salt. Once you are getting the Intellitouch however, it is only $500 more for the IC40 salt cell, so it is pretty uneconomical not to do that.

I am kind of worried about the testing on a salt system & adding things in addition to just the salt. Not sure we would do it all... esp. if I am not here. Comments?

Also what about having 3 filters (main, spa jet, water feature)? I have not figured out a way to avoid that yet so your comments are appreciated!

Here's my thoughts on the matter.

No matter what system you use - you still need to test regularly and adjust as necessary. The only thing any of them do really is prevent you from having to go out and buy the chlorine, or whatever you use, and sometimes you still have to have some on hand.

If regular pool maintenance is not your gig, then you may want to reconsider having a pool or pay for a weekly maintenance service to monitor and maintain it.

The testing and chemical additions for any pool are much simpler once you cut through the hype from all of the product marketing. With standard SWCG, you only have to worry about adding acid for pH control, which is typically a weekly thing. Once you get a feel for your pool, you'll know what needs to be done. Once in a great while(a few times a year), excess rain and refilling due to splash-out will make you need a little salt and CYA, but that's not a regular thing.

My best advice is to keep it simple. Get a good test kit like the one Dave sells at tftestkits.com. Start out by chlorinating with bleach or liquid shock. Listen to the advice here. If the bleach routine is too much time for you, then consider a SWCG, which can be added after the pool build pretty easily, with no more cost than at build time, especially if you ask that plumbing be routed to make installation easy. I use only bleach for chlorination, and I spend less than 2 minutes a day on pool chemistry and have absolutely sparkling clear water with no odors. Pool care is so much simpler than people (pool builders, pool stores, and pool owners who don't understand it) make it out to be that it scares people into spending big money for equipment that actually makes it more complicated. You'd be better off taking the money you would have spent on some add-on system and using it for a good automatic cleaner.

Thanks JohnT, JasonLion, WaterBear & Buggsw! That is a good point. I take care of everything & don't like hiring stuff out so I want to make sure it is as simple/best as possible. What about having more than 1 filter (when I typically see just one filter on most systems). Need some help with that idea! Thanks.

keithtx said:
Thanks! Their web site does not really answer many questions. You always worry when the main emphasis is on testimony vs. charts, etc. What about a product called thechlorinefactory? It is pretty much a self contained salt system that has the salt in a brine tank & fills w/R.O. water. The chlorine is fed to the pool & also has a auto PH dosing since it keep the Lye/NaOH/Sodium Hydroxide in the tank & can add it as needed. That is pretty neat but costs $2800 I think. That keeps your water PH more stable since the OH is not aways fed into the pool like on salt. Once you are getting the Intellitouch however, it is only $500 more for the IC40 salt cell, so it is pretty uneconomical not to do that.

I am kind of worried about the testing on a salt system & adding things in addition to just the salt. Not sure we would do it all... esp. if I am not here. Comments?

Also what about having 3 filters (main, spa jet, water feature)? I have not figured out a way to avoid that yet so your comments are appreciated!
Brine tank salt water chlorine generators are actually an older desing and are not frequently used today except in some commerical installations. The inline cell type of SWG is much easier maintenance for a residential pool and is what I would go with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.