OK, my TC levels are now zero!

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
A few weeks ago, thanks to my PS more TC levels were off the charts and I shut down the SWG for a while. Friday the TC was still over 5.0 with the regent test by a good bit. Yellow but not brown anymore.

Saturday the family (6) went swimming and Sunday we had about 9 bathers in the pool.
Today I do the yellow drop test and I could barley get a color to show up. So now I know my TC levels are at .5 to 0.

Now I turned on the SWG to 15% at 10:30am this morning and will test it later too see if levels went up enough.

Now, should I see how the SWG does in getting levels up, or do I need to shock with bleach?

The CC was 0 and the pH was 8.2. CYA was 70 last Friday

My solar blanket was on the entire time.

Thanks for suggestions

do you have a fas-dpd test kit? any cc's...or how about overnight FC loss? A good test kit is essential to maintaining your water....your shooting in the dark with that yellow TC test IMHO...but I must be yellow blind

dmanb2b said:
do you have a fas-dpd test kit? any cc's...or how about overnight FC loss? A good test kit is essential to maintaining your water....your shooting in the dark with that yellow TC test IMHO...but I must be yellow blind

I have a TF100 kit. I will check the CC tonight. I never did a overnight FC loss.

Things have been fine until the PS told me to shock with my SWG and turn it up to 75% due to warmer weather arriving. Then things got all messed. up.

Things have been fine until the PS told me to shock with my SWG and turn it up to 75% due to warmer weather arriving. Then things got all messed. up.

There ya go :-D
Shocking with your SWG is not a good idea. Won't get the FC up quickly and will wear out your cell. Use bleach and the PC.

Hurricane Gio said:
dmanb2b said:

I have a TF100 kit. I will check the CC tonight. I never did a overnight FC loss.

Excellent...put that kit to work and give us a full set of results...we'll get you on the road to recovery.

When you need to rapidly boost chlorine levels it's better to use liquid chlorine or bleach to do so. Go ahead and raise your FC up to your "target" and then the SWG will be able to keep up.

You shouldn't have to shock - but do an overnight test to be sure. The swg must be off for that though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Remember to keep your PH between 7.5 and 7.8 at all times. Try not to ever let the PH get above 8.0 if you can possibly help it.

I am trying, but daily it getting over the 8 level. Yesterday is was about 8 and I added 8oz of MA according to the PC. Today, again ts about the same if not slightly higher, so I added 12oz.

What is your TA? If you are targeting 7.5 or 7.4 on the PH, try a target of 7.2. Also you plugging in the correct % strength of acid from the drop down menu? Cuz if what you're using is weaker than what is shown on the pool calc it would explain why it's not being lowered.... does that make sense?

Your numbers are looking good. I would keep an eye on the PH, which is likely to drift up. Long term you want to let the TA come down to the 60-70 range, but no need to rush things. TA will drift down on it's own as long as you keep the PH under control.

JasonLion said:
Your numbers are looking good. I would keep an eye on the PH, which is likely to drift up. Long term you want to let the TA come down to the 60-70 range, but no need to rush things. TA will drift down on it's own as long as you keep the PH under control.

Thanks Jason. I got it balanced now after the PS screw up and the water feels nice. I thought of adding a long hose with tiny holes on the a small compressor I have to aerate that water and bring down the TA to keep my pH under control.

From many pool owners down here that I talked to with the type of plaster that is very popular here, pH drift is huge in the first year as is high CH levels. Plus with tons of rain in the summer, its a daily battle with MA.

I guess why PS and everyone I knows keeps a ton of MA at home. heck, I got 8 gallons in stock myself :eek: .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.