Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK, my TC levels are now zero!

1. Back To Top    #1

OK, my TC levels are now zero!

A few weeks ago, thanks to my PS more TC levels were off the charts and I shut down the SWG for a while. Friday the TC was still over 5.0 with the regent test by a good bit. Yellow but not brown anymore.

Saturday the family (6) went swimming and Sunday we had about 9 bathers in the pool.
    Today I do the yellow drop test and I could barley get a color to show up. So now I know my TC levels are at .5 to 0.

Now I turned on the SWG to 15% at 10:30am this morning and will test it later too see if levels went up enough.

Now, should I see how the SWG does in getting levels up, or do I need to shock with bleach?

The CC was 0 and the pH was 8.2. CYA was 70 last Friday

My solar blanket was on the entire time.

Thanks for suggestions
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK, my TC levels are now zero!

Tested the water @ 2:15pm and its at .5-1 right now. I will test again after 6pm to see how high levels are.

But not sure if I should shock it.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

3. Back To Top    #3

do you have a fas-dpd test kit? any cc's...or how about overnight FC loss? A good test kit is essential to maintaining your water....your shooting in the dark with that yellow TC test IMHO...but I must be yellow blind
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    do you have a fas-dpd test kit? any cc's...or how about overnight FC loss? A good test kit is essential to maintaining your water....your shooting in the dark with that yellow TC test IMHO...but I must be yellow blind
    I have a TF100 kit. I will check the CC tonight. I never did a overnight FC loss.

Things have been fine until the PS told me to shock with my SWG and turn it up to 75% due to warmer weather arriving. Then things got all messed. up.

5. Back To Top    #5

Things have been fine until the PS told me to shock with my SWG and turn it up to 75% due to warmer weather arriving. Then things got all messed. up.

There ya go
    Shocking with your SWG is not a good idea. Won't get the FC up quickly and will wear out your cell. Use bleach and the PC.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    I have a TF100 kit. I will check the CC tonight. I never did a overnight FC loss.

Excellent...put that kit to work and give us a full set of results...we'll get you on the road to recovery.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

7. Back To Top    #7

When you need to rapidly boost chlorine levels it's better to use liquid chlorine or bleach to do so. Go ahead and raise your FC up to your "target" and then the SWG will be able to keep up.

You shouldn't have to shock - but do an overnight test to be sure. The swg must be off for that though.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank guys. I learned here NOT to shock with the SWG again. I am going to check today to see how the water is doing.

I am going to slowly try to get things up with the SWG as we are not swimming the next few days.

9. Back To Top    #9

Remember to keep your PH between 7.5 and 7.8 at all times. Try not to ever let the PH get above 8.0 if you can possibly help it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Chlorine is now @ 5 and will back the SWG to 10% and monitor from here how the levels stay. Before the PS screw up, 10% kept levels perfect.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Remember to keep your PH between 7.5 and 7.8 at all times. Try not to ever let the PH get above 8.0 if you can possibly help it.
    I am trying, but daily it getting over the 8 level. Yesterday is was about 8 and I added 8oz of MA according to the PC. Today, again ts about the same if not slightly higher, so I added 12oz.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hey Hurricane...perhaps you could post a full set of test results? It would really help us dial in on some advice for you

13. Back To Top    #13

What is your TA? If you are targeting 7.5 or 7.4 on the PH, try a target of 7.2. Also you plugging in the correct % strength of acid from the drop down menu? Cuz if what you're using is weaker than what is shown on the pool calc it would explain why it's not being lowered.... does that make sense?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

14. Back To Top    #14

I will post full results by later today.

its standard MA and I checked mt TA last week and it was 120.

Its a new plaster pool (feb 10) and I was told that the first year, pH and tons of acid will be expected.

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, this is true. Try a lower target on the PH then.

16. Back To Top    #16

OK guys, here are my numbers:

FC 4.50
    CC .5
    TC 5.0
    pH 7.5
    T/A 100
    CH 440
    CYA 70
    SALT 3100 PPM
    TEMP 90

17. Back To Top    #17

Your numbers are looking good. I would keep an eye on the PH, which is likely to drift up. Long term you want to let the TA come down to the 60-70 range, but no need to rush things. TA will drift down on it's own as long as you keep the PH under control.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Your numbers are looking good. I would keep an eye on the PH, which is likely to drift up. Long term you want to let the TA come down to the 60-70 range, but no need to rush things. TA will drift down on it's own as long as you keep the PH under control.
    Thanks Jason. I got it balanced now after the PS screw up and the water feels nice. I thought of adding a long hose with tiny holes on the a small compressor I have to aerate that water and bring down the TA to keep my pH under control.

From many pool owners down here that I talked to with the type of plaster that is very popular here, pH drift is huge in the first year as is high CH levels. Plus with tons of rain in the summer, its a daily battle with MA.

I guess why PS and everyone I knows keeps a ton of MA at home. ****, I got 8 gallons in stock myself .