New to the forum

May 4, 2010
I never knew such a forum existed, but am very glad to find it.

I have been dealing with pools for years starting when I was managing the city pool where I lived back when I was in college. That particular pool was built in the 1920's and was originally fed by the spring that it was built on top of. Of course by the time I came along, the pool was fed by city water and the spring had been capped. At that time we still chlorinated using a gas system with tanks of chlorine. That ended when I got to work one day and noticed a vapor-like cloud surrounding the pumphouse. One of the lines had become dislodged and chlorine gas was escaping. We had to call the fire department, who, in turn called the HazMat team. I can't remember how they got the gas shut off, but I do remember that we had to close the pool for several days. After almost 80 years, the city finally decided to close the pool for good. I was the last lifeguard out of the gate before the end. The city let me keep one of the wooden pool benches that was used around the pool, there were four or five of them and they were all about thirty or forty years old. I eventually restored the bence and use it with my current pool.

My current pool is a grecian (sp?) style inground pool. I haven't changed over to salt water yet, but hope to within the next couple of years. I use a DE filter and a Dolphin cleaner. I'm not a spring chicken when it comes to pool care, but have run into a couple of issues this year and would really like some help. I'll try to post them in the appropriate areas.

I was looking for a way to search previous posts, so I could avoid asking questions that have already be addressed. Being new to the forum, I was not able to figure out how to do this. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi Benny

Butterfly said:
Hi BennyMG,

I'm not a spring chicken .......
:lol: Haven't heard that one in a while!

Uhm... Joyce - no offense intended (nor Nintendo-ed) but something tells me that you (and Johnny), myself, and a whole passel of other members here haven't had that term applied to us in a bunch of years :cheers: :goodjob: :party: -- that's why we don't hear it anymore :lol:

waste said:
Hi Benny

Butterfly said:
Hi BennyMG,

I'm not a spring chicken .......
:lol: Haven't heard that one in a while!

Uhm... Joyce - no offense intended (nor Nintendo-ed) but something tells me that you (and Johnny), myself, and a whole passel of other members here haven't had that term applied to us in a bunch of years :cheers: :goodjob: :party: -- that's why we don't hear it anymore :lol:
Oh! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: