Mosquito Misting Systems

They can be very effective as long as the right chemicals are dispensed. Avoid the "lemon grass oil" and garlic stuff as these do little, if anything, to help matters other than making your yard smell really interesting. Using Permethrin, Resmethrin, or other suitable pyrethroid will give quick kill to anything, flying or not. Mosquitos also tend to avoid areas with these chemicals in use as they find them to be extremely irritating, so it does have good repellant qualities.

I don't know if you have been taking bids for a misting system or not, but they can be really pricy, and this doesn't include the chemicals that you have to purchase as well. Have you looked into the fogging machines? You can get small electric or propane powered ones for around $200 and then you can fog your yard and bushes periodically. May end up being a little cheaper. They work quite well.

bk406 said:
How bout those propane traps? Anybody have experience with those as well?

They actually do work well and kill LOTS of mosquitos. The problems with them have had to do with their longevity. It seems that they have a reputation for not lasting much longer than a couple of seasons. This may be kind of undeserved though. Ideally, once the mosquito season is over and things start to cool off, they should be brought into a sheltered area for storage. Most just leave them outside though and that is where I think that things go wrong with weather beating them down.

Where are you located and how long is your mosquito season? I don't have any total cures but some less drastic measures can help.

I hate the idea of misting with chemicals that kill all or most insects. I feed hundreds of birds year round so they help take care of a lot. I'm also surrounded by 100s of acres of protected lands and habitats and lake so we like to refrain from using anything that will harm all critters.

That being said, our mosquito season is year round and we do have lots. They favor some people over others (individual body chemistry) and I'm one of them. They hardly ever notice DH and he doesn't wear repellents.

The mosquito dunks and granules put in any place that is moist or wet helps to biologically control breeding. There are, also, jar traps, that lure mosquitoes in to lay eggs then they can't get out. I use about 24 all around the perimeter of the one or so acres that we mow (hesitate to say landscape) and in use by us or the dogs. The refresh bait packets I use are by Oak Stump Farms.

I wear Advanced by Cutter repellent all morning and all night and some days all day. It does not have deet, rather a new repellent on the market being used by more and more companies. The ingredient is Picaridin. Cutter Advanced is the only one for sure that doesn't have fragrance. (When I go into our deep woods I usually have to use Deep Woods Off or a heavy deet product by Cutter or others.) A major advantage of Picaridin is that it doesn't melt plastics or synthetic fabrics. I wear mostly light weight rayon dresses all summer to work outside and it's never done any damage to that or any other plastics like drinking glasses, watches, eye glasses, etc.

The little blue things, personal repellent blower, by Off, I think, work pretty well but can be expensive to use all the time, that is the replacement tabs.

For around the pool we use big pot burners with Citronella. I've tried the cheap, tiki torch ones but they have to be filled too often. The pot ones come either with or without pole stands. They can get pretty expensive when you move to copper pots with pole stands but look pretty nice. I notice a huge difference when they are lit. Very few products will stay on while swimming so we like to use the Citronella burner for all round the pool deterrent.

I, also, place the hanging bags for flies, all around the woods just out of sight. This doesn't help with mosquitoes but sure helps cut down the flies. You can get those at HD.

I wish I could help you with the other solutions but I don't have any experience with them other than Pyrethrins. One word of caution. The natural Pyrethrins, Pyrethrums and man-made similar products Pyrethroids like Permethrin can be dangerous if inhaled in quantities. All of those have quick kill but break down pretty fast, are "biodegradable" and have some repellent action in addition to killing. But they still kill good insects. I think bees are pretty sensitive to them but if used when bees are not out they may be okay if you use a product that has a very short half-life (break down rate).

You are doing the right thing researching this.

gg=alice

Beez said:
257WbyMag said:
They actually do work well and kill LOTS of mosquitos.
Have you actually used one and had good results? I asked my pest exterminator, who is also a personal friend, and he said they didn't work. But I'm thinking he may be a bit biased... :roll:

We don't have one. I spray and don't really need one. My mom has one (on her second one, actually) and sees nary a mosquito once she starts it for the season. Takes a couple of weeks to start going really well. My next door neighbor had one but they moved. When they left, the mosquitos came back in force.

Your exterminator is biased. That's one less treatment he gets to bill folks for.

Yes geekgranny, you have a point about the fact that pesticides do kill beneficial insects. Pyrethrins and the like are not selective and will eliminate bees and such. This can be minimized by applying it only at certain times (i.e. after dark when bees are no longer foraging). The substances are gone after a few hours anyway. This is why municipalities spray after dark.

Repellents do work and Picaridin, which you mentioned, just got approved by the CDC recently as an effective repellent alternative to DEET for those who can't use DEET based products for whatever reason. The biggest mistake people make with regard to repellents is by not using them.

Citronella is not, at least by my experience, an effective repellent. The coils (which do have insecticide in them) can work but you pretty much need to be sitting in the smoke stream to see any benefit from them. Your best bet is to apply a DEET or Picaridin based repellent any time you go outside.

As a nurse, I'm a big believer in vector and dangerous insect control by the best means possible. Because West Nile virus is such a real threat, I believe that we should do what we can to help in preventing it. And West Nile is not something that is limited to the woods, but is commonplace in the most urban of environments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not too sure of your location or product availability but we LOVE the ThermaCell (not positive on spelling but a google search should bring it right up). My better 1/2 is a mosquito magnet (and I rarely even get bit) and she raves about her ThermaCell. It's a small mosquito repellant that uses butane cartridges and refill pads to disperce the repellant. It produces almost no detectable smell and is very compact and easy to use. Not too effective in windy conditions though. For a relatively small investment ($25 around here) you should give it a try. Refill kits are less than $10 and can be found at most wal-marts and sporting goods stores in my area. Give it a shot, I think you'll like it!!

Thanks for all of the ideas. I have tried many of them over the years and the most effective seems to be staying inside. We have a new pool going in and staying inside or getting sprayed down every hour or two does not seem like a good option. In south Texas we have mosquitos almost year round. I realize what the misting systems cost but it seems like a acceptable price to pay if they really work.

We bought a Mosquito Magnet last year about this time, because we have mosquitos the size of puppies here near the coast, and more cases of West Nile every year. And they love my husband (I guess because he's so sweet :mrgreen: ). DH got the better one, and it's been worth it. You have to put it in the right place and figure that out, but it's worked well for us. We store it in the garage during the winter to protect it.

257WbyMag said:
As a nurse, I'm a big believer in vector and dangerous insect control by the best means possible. Because West Nile virus is such a real threat, I believe that we should do what we can to help in preventing it. And West Nile is not something that is limited to the woods, but is commonplace in the most urban of environments.

I'm nurse too; DH MD. We both are very sensitive [sic] to the many diseases transmitted by vector organisms to us and the dogs. That's one reason I wear repellent virtually 24 hours, much of the year. And prefer the Piciridian because it has never harmed any fabrics, clothes, chairs, etc. or plastics. I tried the various Avon products but the perfumes give me headaches.

Good Wikipedia info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(epidemiology)

There are loads of diseases carried by vectors, but the most common form that we humans run into are flies, fleas, mosquitoes, and ticks.

I became especially aware of vector carried diseases when I started working with several groups training protection dogs, in the early 80's. Most of the dogs in training were German Shepard Dogs (mine were Rotties and Mastiffs) Ehrlichia Infection in Dogs became especially rampant at that time and was believed to have been brought over by returning Vietnam "war" dogs. I don't think that has been proven a fact in the case of that particular strain. In fact is was already in the US. There are many types though. See http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2103 Several of my dogs, over a period had symptoms but were successfully treated with antibiotics.

Then the public was slowly made aware of Lyme's disease carried by ticks, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and just in recent years, West Nile Disease. We already know, or should know about the Black Plague or Black Death (actually caused by three different organisms and still around in animal populations around the world and US especially in western states.)

In the mid 80's I knew of a whole family, via my show dog handlers, who were good friends of the family and went to the same church, who had been in treatment for various symptoms, for a lengthy time, with no success and only worsening symptoms. Eventually the whole family, one by one, were admitted to hospitals for psychiatric care. Once it was found that they all had Lymes disease, and all started on treatment they began to heal but with serious life long damage and various recurring and/or constant symptoms. That really makes an impression on one.!!!!!!!

So take what ever measures are needed but do please keep in mind protecting our sensitive and beneficial flora and fauna. AND people and domestic animals.

gg=alice

We have a Mosquito Max system and it works great. Their web site is: http://mosquitomax.com/ In this particular system, I just put the concentrated chemical in the container and the system mixes it with water at the required level. It has a timer and currently ours sprays at 6:00am, 6:00pm and 8:00 pm. The duration of each spray is 30 seconds. The nice thing about this type of system is that the concentrate is mixed at the time of spraying. From what I've heard, the systems in the barrels require the concentrate to be mixed with water in the barrel. Over time it can settle out. I think they may have a device to agitate the solution before spraying. Our system is a small metal box that is mounted to the side of the house.

During the non-mosquito season, I just unplug the system. Periodically, I'll just run water through it to make sure the nozzles are clear. I use 2 different kinds of chemical, Sector and Riptide. I get them online at ePestSolutions (http://www.epestsolutions.com/Mosquito_Insecticides.html) I'm not sure if it really helps, but I rotate between those two chemicals each time I refill the system. I typically use about 3-4 quarts during the active season. So the cost is about $300/year in chemicals.

The thing I really like about the system is that we just set the timer and it runs everyday like a sprinkler system. If we're having a party, I'll usually do a manually spray (the system comes with a remote which lets you initiate a spray anytime) before the guests arrive and then turn off the system for the party.

jetcycles said:
Not too sure of your location or product availability but we LOVE the ThermaCell (not positive on spelling but a google search should bring it right up). My better 1/2 is a mosquito magnet (and I rarely even get bit) and she raves about her ThermaCell. It's a small mosquito repellant that uses butane cartridges and refill pads to disperce the repellant. It produces almost no detectable smell and is very compact and easy to use. Not too effective in windy conditions though. For a relatively small investment ($25 around here) you should give it a try. Refill kits are less than $10 and can be found at most wal-marts and sporting goods stores in my area. Give it a shot, I think you'll like it!!

This is what I use as well. It seems to work pretty well if it isn't windy out.
But the area it works in is pretty small and any wind messes things up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.