Is there a "safe" height to drain a pool for maintenance

kabbak

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2010
"Lamorinda" California
For an in-ground plaster, gunite, pool is there a drop of water height from normal level for some period of time that is "very unlikely" to cause a structural problem to the pool. For example, would lowering the level 12 inches, for two days be stress free? Or maybe as a percentage of pool depth?

Obviously, water quality may suffer if pumping is interrupted, but I'm not asking about the impact on the water.

I can imaging all sorts of "potential" issues, but I'm hoping some pool maintenance/construction experts can chime in with practical experience on what the real issues, if any, are.

Thanks so much!

I don't think that lowering your pool 12 inches would cause any harm at all.

Where people with inground pools run into problems is when the water table in their area is quite high. Places such as coastal Louisiana or Florida have to be quite careful when draining as the pool can literally float itself out of the ground. But 12" is very little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.