Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a "safe" height to drain a pool for maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a "safe" height to drain a pool for maintenance

For an in-ground plaster, gunite, pool is there a drop of water height from normal level for some period of time that is "very unlikely" to cause a structural problem to the pool. For example, would lowering the level 12 inches, for two days be stress free? Or maybe as a percentage of pool depth?

Obviously, water quality may suffer if pumping is interrupted, but I'm not asking about the impact on the water.

I can imaging all sorts of "potential" issues, but I'm hoping some pool maintenance/construction experts can chime in with practical experience on what the real issues, if any, are.

Thanks so much!
    ~29K gal, 20'x36' rectangular, outdoor IG plaster, built in '74. Intelliflo VF; Sta-rite system 3 w/300sq ft. Liquidator 8Gal-3/8ug; Polaris 380 sweep & PB4 booster. Equip. is in shed on ground level pad.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a "safe" height to drain a pool for maintenance

I don't think that lowering your pool 12 inches would cause any harm at all.

Where people with inground pools run into problems is when the water table in their area is quite high. Places such as coastal Louisiana or Florida have to be quite careful when draining as the pool can literally float itself out of the ground. But 12" is very little.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

I also think 12" is fine.

If you want to be certain, dig a hole or two near your pool to the depth you want to drain. As long as you don't find ground water seeping into the hole, you're golden.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

Depends on the water table. For example, if you are in the Nashville area, I wouldn't do it just yet.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

All, thanks for the useful and fast responses!
    The suggestion to dig a hole to check the water table is nice.
    Maybe I'll leave a vertical pipe in there with a cap for easy future checking
    Great forum!
    Thanks!
    ~29K gal, 20'x36' rectangular, outdoor IG plaster, built in '74. Intelliflo VF; Sta-rite system 3 w/300sq ft. Liquidator 8Gal-3/8ug; Polaris 380 sweep & PB4 booster. Equip. is in shed on ground level pad.