Run the filter longer or up the SWCG power level?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I've been wondering about the trade off between pump runtime vs increasing the SWCG power level to maintain the proper FC level. Currently if I just run the pump/filter for the amount of time that I need to keep the water crystal clear it requires me to have my SWCG on the highest power level (3 I believe) to maintain the proper FC.

If I run the pump/filter for longer than needed just for clear water, I can run the SWCG at a lower power level (2).

Anyone know which would be best as far as total cost? Obviously running the pump longer wears the pump and costs electricity. I believe running the SWCG at a power level of 3 instead of 2 puts more wear on the SWCG, or does it?

Currently I've chosen running the pump longer and using a power level of 2 on the SWCG. Just curious as to what others are doing.

thanks,
dave

P.S. - I also run a CYA of 90 as I have found that it does save me chlorine even though I have to maintain a tad higher FC.

Just balance it out to whatever you need for the pump to run to keep the pool clear and adjust the SWCG to make the right amount of chlorine with that run time. The effect on the SWCG is going to be the same.

JohnT said:
The effect on the SWCG is going to be the same.

I'm not sure i understand this statement? Can you clarify?

I set the pump run time first, then alter the SWG on time/power level to keep the FC level where I want it. Of course, if the pump run time is such that the SWG is on full power, at the highest setting, you might want to alter the pump time (or if the SWG is severely undersize for the pool). But, in most cases, a pump run time to equal 1-2 turnovers in 24 hours will result in an acceptable FC and still keep the SWG at an acceptable level of power and output settings.

bk406 said:
JohnT said:
The effect on the SWCG is going to be the same.

I'm not sure i understand this statement? Can you clarify?

I set the pump run time first, then alter the SWG on time/power level to keep the FC level where I want it. Of course, if the pump run time is such that the SWG is on full power, at the highest setting, you might want to alter the pump time (or if the SWG is severely undersize for the pool). But, in most cases, a pump run time to equal 1-2 turnovers in 24 hours will result in an acceptable FC and still keep the SWG at an acceptable level of power and output settings.

The effect on the life of the SWCG cell is about the same running 50% for 10 hours or 100% for 5 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.