Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: whats involved in switching to salt?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    whats involved in switching to salt?

    We have a indoor pool and spa at our hotel and it has a sand filter system. Whats involved in doing away with the system and going with salt? Do we have to replace the sand filters and pumps?

    11,000 gallon in-ground pool/spa combo, pebble-tec, Sta-rite system 3 cartridge 300 sqft, Sta-Rite Max-E Glas 2 HP single speed pump, Sta-Rite Max-E Therm natural gas heater. Jandy Aqualink RS Onetouch. Manual vacuum. Chlorine.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    SW Indiana

    Re: whats involved in switching to salt?

    You add an appropriately sized SWCG and add the salt to the water. No other changes required.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    SouthWest Alabama

    Re: whats involved in switching to salt?

    Nothing to replace. Just install a SWCG, add proper quantity of salt, fire it up and test levels. Adjust till you get the levels right and that's about it.

    How are you chlorinating now?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida

    Re: whats involved in switching to salt?


    It depends on where you're located and what your local Department of Environmental Health's guidelines are.

    1) The salt system MUST be NSF approved.
    2) You must notify the Dept of Health that you're changing your chlorination system. Some locations require Signed and Sealed Engineered Plans to be submitted.
    3) The salt system must be sized appropriately to meet Dept of Health lbs/day guidelines.
    4) Pull Permits, fill out applications and forms, Install using licensed contrators.
    ...and this is just the legal side of your question.

    The rest of your question on converting is answered in the posts before mine.

    If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me directly.
    954-325-3859 mobile
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts