The pool store and its testing

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I assume that the pool store can only test up to 5 FC. Well anyways I will post my test results and the pool store results later when I get home. I have a spreadsheet I keep track of and not not remember them right now.

The one that jumped out to me and seems that is not ever done very well is the CYA test. They tested my CYA at 140 and I got a result of 30. I know it is not even close to that high as I tested at home myself. Maybe when he typed in 140, he meant 40 and that would make more sense, but did not notice until I had left already. So it is funny what one little mess up like that could really do. There recommend levels for CYA is 30-140, which seems very high. The reason I say this is they ask you what type of pool, salt or chlorine so I would think the recommend levels would be similar.

This is why we recommend that folks get their own high quality, drop-based, test kits rather than depending on the pool store to give us test results. Some pool stores give more or less accurate information, but usually they are lacking in accuracy.

I know that the Leslie's that is closest to me uses the same Taylor tests that I do and all in all, they actually do a pretty good job. But the little mom and pop outfit that I go to for most things uses a strip reader system. It's a dice game when it comes to their results.

I would go with your own CYA test results.

257WbyMag said:
This is why we recommend that folks get their own high quality, drop-based, test kits rather than depending on the pool store to give us test results. Some pool stores give more or less accurate information, but usually they are lacking in accuracy.

I know that the Leslie's that is closest to me uses the same Taylor tests that I do and all in all, they actually do a pretty good job. But the little mom and pop outfit that I go to for most things uses a strip reader system. It's a dice game when it comes to their results.

I would go with your own CYA test results.

Yea I plan on it. Last time I tested my CYA it was 40, but I had to refill some water, so I am sure that may have affected the CYA to go to 30. Everything else is right on though. There is one test the pool store does that uses a strip, but I am not sure what test that is and have never actually asked.

I felt bad for the guy who came in and said hey what do I need. He did not even bring in a sample to have tested or anything. They told him it is impossible to tell him what he needs because it could vary so much. He then said hey I can add some stablizer and something else and the lady was like yeah you could do that. I never heard her even say, here is a bottle bring back a sample so we can see what you need, but instead just sold him stuff. He was an older man who did not act like they wanted to be bothered so I left him alone.

Yes, I see you point about the older gentleman who was seeking advice for his situation. And he may or may not have appreciated any advice that you would have been able to give to him (which is probably a lot). There are some folks that just don't want to tinker with their pools or water to get the best results. They just want the pool store to sell them something to throw in there so they can go on ignoring things as much as possible. As long as the pool is a semblance of blue, they are fine with that.

257WbyMag said:
Yes, I see you point about the older gentleman who was seeking advice for his situation. And he may or may not have appreciated any advice that you would have been able to give to him (which is probably a lot). There are some folks that just don't want to tinker with their pools or water to get the best results. They just want the pool store to sell them something to throw in there so they can go on ignoring things as much as possible. As long as the pool is a semblance of blue, they are fine with that.

I would have at least had the guy bring in a sample before I sold him something, but everyone is different. I guess to them a sale is a sale regardless if it is the wrong or right thing. Now I am sure there are always exceptions, but I am sure those are far and few between.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.