Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter....

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter....

The pressure gauge does not work on our sand filter anymore (Hayward SwimPro). Does that matter? Can I just replace the gauge, or do I have to replace the whole top - or the whole filter?
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter....

You really need it to tell what is going on if you have a problem. They fail frequently and are easy to replace.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You can just replace the gauge. Without it you never know when to backwash so it's a worthy investment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok!! I'll replace it - do I need to call hayward to find the correct model to replace it with, or are they pretty universal and I can just buy one somewhere?

Also - the sand in my filter has never been replaced. Does it need to be? This is the 6th swimming season maybe??
    21x41x54" AG Artesian Seville II
    Installed around 2004 - we moved here in 2008
    23,000 gal
    Hayward SwimPro 256T Sand Filter
    1HP 2speed Hayward Power Flo Matrix
    (and have 2HP Hayward Swimpro and a 2hp 2speed Waterway Hi-Flo pump as back up also!! lol)
    No heating - other than Solar SunRings
    Central IL

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't need to call Hayward. They're pretty universal. If you want one with the fancy backwash ring that you use to tell when it's time to backwash, go to your local pool store and they'll have them. If you don't care about that, your local big box home improvement store will probably have them. Just get one with the same range and connection as the one you remove.

If you're not having problems with the sand filter I wouldn't worry about replacing it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I read somewhere here to make sure the pressure gauge doesn't read more than 60psi. Don't know if that helps or not.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html