New pool, first test results

Aug 4, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey everyone,

We had a new pool installed in the fall and finally opened a few weeks ago. I finally got around to bringing a sample to the pool store.

TA= 30
pH= 7.0
CH= 30
FC= 4.0
Bromine= 0
Water clarity was excellent.

From the tests I was doing at home, I knew my TA was low and affecting my pH. Here's what the pool store precribed me. Any thoughts?

They want me to start with 1L of algeacide (60%). After that, it's on to Alkalinity increaser (18KG) and finish up with CH increaser (17KG).

Very new to all of this, and I've read through the pool school multiple times :) hehe

So does their prescription make sense? The one concern I had was she based it on a 2600 gallon pool, if I do the calculation myself I'm at 22000. Should I scale back on some of those chems?

Thanks!

I would not bother with the algaecide (unnecessary if you maintain adequate chlorine) or the CH increaser (not relevant to a vinyl pool). Raising the TA is probably a good move, though.

You can use the Pool Calculator to calculate amounts of chems for yourself. Even in a 26000 gal pool, 18KG of alkalinity increaser (probably baking soda) is too much. (Are you really mixing metric and British units like that?) Raising TA from 30 to 60 requires about 5KG in a 26,000 gallon pool, 4.5KB in 22,000 gallons.

What is your CYA level?
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.