New Hayward XStream vs. Adding Pentari Clean & Clear to Pump

May 3, 2010
I currently have a 20X40 (with a 6-1/2' deep end) AG pool by Doughboy with a 2HP Doughboy pump and sand filter.

I am trying to decide whether to buy a new Hayward X Stream 150 Sq Ft Cartridge system with it's 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Power Flo Matrix pump or keeping my pump and adding a larger Pentair (or similar) Clean and Clear Cartridge system.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I never have an algae problem since I have an automatic cover. Even when I open the pool in the spring I have no algae.

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend getting a larger filter and a smaller two speed pump. The pool industry is constantly oversizing the pump because consumers think that bigger is better. For pumps smaller is better (up to a point). I suggest looking at either a 3/4 HP or 1 HP two speed pump. Getting a two speed pump and running it on low speed for twice as long will save you money on electricity and you still have high speed available if you should happen to need it.

With filters, bigger is better. The filter in the X Stream would be fine, but you will be happier with a larger filter in the long run. Larger filters don't need to be cleaned as often and are slightly more efficient overall.

Just wondering your reasoning for wanting to change?

If your 2HP is not a 2 speed I understand that... I do like 2 speeds. But people who are used to the ease of sand filters might not like cleaning a cart.... I think a 150 sf filter would be a little small for your pool. Bigger is always better when it comes to the filter sizing; it means having to clean it less often. So if you are looking to upgrade the filter then go bigger.

Jason and I were typing at the same time... :wink:

Good points. I don't like the model Doughboy sand filter at all. It is only a 4 valve, the manual wants you to remove the sand each year, parts are hard to come by, etc.Not to mention I have some problem with it with sand being sent to the pool but I see no problems and without the rinse option dirt always enters the pool after a backwash. I have been reading about cartridge systems and they look very interesting to me.

I prefer top spend less the $500 which either option above does with the Hayward including the 2 speed pump. I am thinking that the electric savings for a more efficient pump will help defray the costs. Just not sure by how much yet.

I could get the Hayward with a 1 hp motor as well. Not sure if it comes in 2-speed. I guess I am struggling pump and filter versus larger filter and using existing pump. Maybe I am missing a different option too.

I wonder if there is a way to conver the 2hp motor you have with a 2 speed motor and just replace the filter...
operating on low speed does offer significant savings for your elec bill.
It will be difficult to get a good 2 speed pump and a decent cart for under $5 unless you could find a trustworthy used option.
I wouldn't go smaller than 175 sf on the cart filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.