Using Oxy - Brite in conversion?

jule

May 1, 2010
New London, Wisconsin
I had a second water test done today in a different city/store but same testing company. During conversation with the owber he suggested using Oxy-Brite, a non-chlorine shock, to remove the remaining Baquacil from last year. In effect, it would destroy the Baquacil, reduce the amount of liquid chlorine I had to use and shorten the time. He did tell me about the wonderful colors that would occur in the transition. I left without buying any as I wanted to read up on that. Several sites do suggest using the product. Has anyone here done a conversion using the Oxy-Brite? If so, what were the results? I haven't read any comments here about anyone using it.

Thoughts anyone?

Oxy brite will do the same thing as bleach and bleach will produce wonderful colors too. You may use less liquid chlorine but that doesn't mean you'll save money. Oxy brite is very expensive, much more than liquid chlorine or bleach, and I don't think it will shorten the amount of time for the conversion.

Jule, I am not a chemist, but according to the MSDS http://www.poolwater.com/msds/all/GLB Oxy-Brite.pdf
Conditions To Avoid (Stability)
The mixture of this product with compounds containing halides or active halogens (bromine, chlorine, iodine) can cause the release of the respective halogen gas, if moisture is present. Avoid these gases (bromine and chlorine) because they are very irritating to eyes and lungs even at low concentrations. Never mix concentrated product with
dry or concentrated bromine containing chemicals, such as bromates, bromides, or any concentrated bromine pool chemicals. Mixing this prodcut with dry or concentrated chlorine containing chemicals, such as hypochlorites, sodium dichloroisocyanurate, sodium triisocyanurate or with sodium chloride, may cause the release of chlorine gas.

Looks to me like it might not be a good idea?

I did the conversion years ago with nothing but bleach and it doesn't really take that long (about 3 days). I bet that pool store owner sells the oxy-brite :wink: ?

Some people have used sodium percarbonate, but it seems to end up costing more and doesn't save all that much time. Oxy-Brite is potassium monopersulfate, which should also work but again is going to cost more than using chlorine.

Okay, thanks. I'll skip that then. (Yes pedsrn, the pool owner sells the Oxy-Brite - lol -how'd you know? ) I plan to do another vac to waste Tuesday morning. Hopefully that, and more fresh makeup water will dilute the Baqua level more. I've been told there's the possibility with Baqua still in the water that adding chlorine could produce slimy gel like debris. I'm assuming this happens when the chlorine contacts anything that's absorbed the Baqua? For instance, the white wet tissue looking stuff I've been told is algae? Should I expect that those will become gooey? That's kind of scary because there's a lot that came off the walls when I vacuumed to waste the first time.

Am planning to add the first dose of chlorine Tuesday night. My new test kit should be here Wednesday. (crossing my fingers) :)

jule said:
I've been told there's the possibility with Baqua still in the water that adding chlorine could produce slimy gel like debris.

Not just a possibility, it WILL happen which is why you MUST change your sand once the conversion is complete. I ended up adding clarifier to mine on about the fifth day to get everything (all the baqu goo) to drop out; then vacuumed to gravity and changed the sand the next day or so.

Enjoy the conversion...the changing colors are really fascinating.

[attachment=0:1sbhsgn9]5-1-2010.png[/attachment:1sbhsgn9]Tuesday morning: Vacuumed the pool bottom and walls again. 'Pool Guy': I haven't added chlorine yet. What you see in the pic I'll attach is over-winter. Pool's been on Baquacil for several years. Before the initial well water top up, I used some Baquacil flocculent hoping to settle all the floating debris to the bottom. It didn't work.

After two vacuums to waste, I'm resigned to getting a second set of new cartridges. I realize now there's no way I'd get them clean enough after filtering what obviously won't land on the bottom to vacuum out. Luckily I've found a site online that sells my kind at 2.99ea vs the 4.99ea I paid in the store this year. And they had to order those for me. I waited two weeks to get them. Should've looked online in the first place. Live and learn.

I run fresh well water in while I vacuum so the refill time isn't so long. Anyway, these are current pool state pics. Not a pretty site or meant for the squeamish. lol! I plan to begin liquid chlorine shock dosage this evening after sun leaves the pool. I currently have two cases. Will get another two today. Should I be adding only one bottle at a time every hour, like I've read elsewhere, or is it best to use a case or two initially and then progress through hourly doses?

I'm totally prepared for the color changes. Years ago when I first went to Baquacil there was still chlorine in the water, so it went brown right out of the jets. i freaked (first timer,lol) and called pool store for solution. What I haven't realized until reading many of the posts here is that the heavy chlorine order is not from too much of it, but rather from it doing it's job. Is that right?

The red square in the close up surrounds an example of the white 'wet-tissue' looking stuff that I was told was algae. I assumed it's dead algae. Is that correct or is there another strain?

Attachments

• whitestuffinpool.gif
    whitestuffinpool.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 5-1-2010.png
    5-1-2010.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.