New filter and pump

May 3, 2010
I just had my pool reconstructed by a pro and installed the new filter and pump myself (i feel i'm fairly handy). The pool contractor said that even though my pool was really old, the line seemed in good shape and not necessary to change...they are 1.5 inch copper. Anyway, the pump is a Whisperflo 1hp with 2 inch in/out and the filter is a Hayward sand 24inch 244T. My question is should this pump work ok with the smaller lines? The pump basket doesn't fill with water (is this normal)and i'm getting a lot of air back into the pool via the returns. When I turn the filter off the water in the filter and pump gravity feeds back to the pool. Should I install a check valve to prevent this?

Hope this makes sense and any help is appreciated.

Keith

When properly primed, a pump and filter should not drain after the pump turns off. Also, the pump basket should be full of water with no visible air in the pump basket. It could be a couple of problems but I suspect that the pump is not fully priming and you may have an air leak somewhere as well.

Is the suction line a single 1.5" line or do you have multiple lines?

Have you tried some silicon pool lube on the pump lid seal?

Also, is the 1 HP Whisperflo an uprated or full rated pump?

A 1HP WhisperFlo is fine with 1.5" plumbing.

I suspect, as this is a fairly common thing to have happen, that the male adapter on the copper wasn't taped as much as it should be when you threaded a female adapter to it or the male adapter for the pump's front is suffering a similar issue. I will use a little more Teflon tape on old copper ends. I hope you have a union between the two.

I am assuming they are threaded more than hand tight.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.