pump size

Welcome to TFP!

That pump is very likely to be fine with that filter, but it depends on the number number of gallons per minute you are planning for, which in turn depends on quite a number of factors. If you tell us more about your pool, number of gallons, number of skimmers/returns, any water features you are planning, spa?, and so on we can give you a better idea.

Generally speaking you want the smallest pump you can get away with, to save on long term electric costs, and the largest filter you can afford, to minimize the frequency of filter maintinance. If you don't have any water features a 3/4 HP pump would probably be plenty. Also, saying 1 HP doesn't really tell us much as different 1 HP pumps move quite different amounts of water.

thanks for the quick reply! I have a 24 round ag pool with the middle scooped. It holds around 30,000 gal. We have had a Hayward 166T filter that is now cracked(age) and this season had to replace our pump with a Pentair Dynamo 1hp. I am looking at the Eliminator 26" which is much bigger than we had but wondered about the 1hp pump with it?

poolcrab said:
thanks for the quick reply! I have a 24 round ag pool with the middle scooped. It holds around 30,000 gal. We have had a Hayward 166T filter that is now cracked(age) and this season had to replace our pump with a Pentair Dynamo 1hp. I am looking at the Eliminator 26" which is much bigger than we had but wondered about the 1hp pump with it?

You shouldn't have any issues with a larger filter and will perform better with a given pump size. They can handle higher flow rates and filter better at lower flow rates so you will be better off for it. Also, you will have to clean it less often which is always a plus.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with a larger filter, like the previous posts mentioned. And in general, a 1HP pump is likely to be at least sufficient. I personally prefer a speed pump motor as I get plenty of flow to turn over my water at low speed running only 12 hrs per day, and I can use the high speed for vaccuming. Since you already have the pump, though, suffice it to say that you can go with the bigger filter without issue, in my opinion.

By the way, I am skeptical that you have close to 30,000 gallons. a 24 ft round would have to be more than 9 feet deep everythwere to get close to 30,000 gallons! You probably don't NEED the larger filter because of water volume, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.