Which new pump?

Jun 15, 2009
It appears that our 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump motor is dead (really loud noise and overheats quickly, then won't turn back on - have replaced impeller, so thats not the problem).

Am considering the following options, most of which are at a similar price point, and was wondering if anyone could reccommend one or the other:

1) Hayward Tristar 1.5hp dual speed.
2) Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp dual speed.
3) Hayward Northstar 1.5hp dual speed.
4) Just replace the existing motor with a super pump dual speed motor.

Also, the pool is approximately 60k gallons. 1.5hp seems to have been working well so far, but just want to make sure I don't need anything bigger.

Thanks for your help.

1.5 HP is probably right sized for that large of a pool so I don't think you really need anything bigger. If the wet end is still in good shape, option #4 will probably save about half the cost of a new pump. If you decide on a new pump, I agree with Jason that the Tristar and Whisperflo are good pumps. I have the Northstar and it has been a good performer for me but I do know many pool service techs have had issues with them.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but looking for pump alternatives (in case mine goes kaput this season)........I notice the WhisperFlo has a 115V 2 speed model. How do they do that? Or is the description Im reading incorrect?

I always thought 220V was standard and you got high speed by using both hot sides and low speed by only using one. Curious how it would work with 115V

A 2 speed pump has 4 poles (windings) and a 1 speed pump has 2 poles. The way the windings are connected, series or parallel, determine the voltage. Series fed are 220v while parallel are 110v.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.