Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which new pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which new pump?

It appears that our 1.5hp Hayward Super Pump motor is dead (really loud noise and overheats quickly, then won't turn back on - have replaced impeller, so thats not the problem).

Am considering the following options, most of which are at a similar price point, and was wondering if anyone could reccommend one or the other:

1) Hayward Tristar 1.5hp dual speed.
    2) Pentair Whisperflow 1.5hp dual speed.
    3) Hayward Northstar 1.5hp dual speed.
    4) Just replace the existing motor with a super pump dual speed motor.

Also, the pool is approximately 60k gallons. 1.5hp seems to have been working well so far, but just want to make sure I don't need anything bigger.

Thanks for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which new pump?

My personal favorite and the most efficient is the WhisperFlo, though the Tristar is not too far behind. I have heard various negatives about the Northstar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

1.5 HP is probably right sized for that large of a pool so I don't think you really need anything bigger. If the wet end is still in good shape, option #4 will probably save about half the cost of a new pump. If you decide on a new pump, I agree with Jason that the Tristar and Whisperflo are good pumps. I have the Northstar and it has been a good performer for me but I do know many pool service techs have had issues with them.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the recommendations. One follow on question.

Is there any real difference between the Whisperflo and Superflo other than noise insulation?

5. Back To Top    #5

Not trying to hijack the thread, but looking for pump alternatives (in case mine goes kaput this season)........I notice the WhisperFlo has a 115V 2 speed model. How do they do that? Or is the description Im reading incorrect?

I always thought 220V was standard and you got high speed by using both hot sides and low speed by only using one. Curious how it would work with 115V
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

6. Back To Top    #6

A 2 speed pump has 4 poles (windings) and a 1 speed pump has 2 poles. The way the windings are connected, series or parallel, determine the voltage. Series fed are 220v while parallel are 110v.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dcpendarvis
    Is there any real difference between the Whisperflo and Superflo other than noise insulation?
    Yes. The WhisperFlo moves about 40% more water for the same size motor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School