When can I start treating metal stains after BA?

Apr 26, 2010
Plano, TX
I have been treating black algae now for a little over a week. Everything looks great. There are still a few spots that are hanging around but they aren't noticable except to me. The FC is holding and water is very clear. I am keeping FC from 16-20ppm for another week then plan to hold it at about 10ppm for awhile. The BBB method worked wonders for the black algae that we have struggled to get rid of in the past.

Now I have metal staining is several areas which I assume is from using store bought algaecides. From what I have read I need to use the abscorbic acid to remove these rather easily. But you are supposed to drop FC to 0ppm to do the treatment.

So my questions are...

- How long do I need to wait after treating the BA to drop FC to 0ppm without having it come back?
- Once I have treated with the abscorbic acid, how long before I can get FC back up?
- How long after Abscorbic acid treatment is it safe to swim?

Thanks for any advice.

Brooke

You mentioned that there are still a few spots here and there that only you can notice. So, once you don't notice any more algae at all in any location and your FC holds its level overnight, that is when you can address your metal staining.

If you want my honest opinion, I would wait until the fall when the temps start to cool - live with the stains for this swim season and deal with them later so you don't risk an algae situation... since you are finally getting this under control. :)

Did you confirm they are metal by using Vitamin C on the stain?

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you want my honest opinion, I would wait until the fall when the temps start to cool - live with the stains for this swim season and deal with them later so you don't risk an algae situation... since you are finally getting this under control. :)

That's an even better idea. :goodjob:

Well that makes sense. I was worried about having to drop it to 0ppm. Now that it is looking so great I really wanted to tackle those stains, but I guess I can wait :(. It is already a huge improvement though. Thanks for your advice.

So what do you recommend I keep the FC levels at until I no longer see black algae? We started at 40ppm and have now dropped down to 20ppm. My CYA is approx = 50. And once I don't see any more black spots should I still keep the FC around 10ppm for a couple more weeks?

Thanks again.
Brooke

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.