Best time to run filter, day or night?

Personal preference really. I like mine to be running when someone is in the pool. I also like it to be running for at least an hour after I add chemicals to it and this is usually in the evening. I'll run mine from 12:00 noon to about 9:00 p.m.

Running the pump during the day is every so slightly better for the pool. But there are many other factors that might influence when you run the pump that might over-ride that. For example, if you have time of day based electric rates, you will want to run the pump during off peak periods, which is typically at night.

Thanks for the replies :goodjob: I add my chemicals at night so I've been running the filter at night as well. I was thinking not only do the chemicals need to be mixed well but I was thinking since it's cooler at night it would be less stressful on the pump/filter motor. But of course after swimmers I'll let it run for a few hours. Just wasn't sure if there was a must rule I should be following but common sense seems to be the rule. Thanks guys! :goodjob:

We have solar panels on our pump so obviously the pump must run during daylight hours to warm up the pool.

I run ours in three sessions spaced around the clock. That way it never goes very long without having the water circulated. A solar heater will dictate when you run it during the day and if you use it for cooling, some nights as well.

mkenyon2 said:
I'm thinking of doing a 6 on/6 off schedule. I also figured it would be good to be filtering while people swam.

Currently my timer has only 1 on and 1 off. Are there timers that can give me more control?

What kind of timer? You can add extra trippers to most mechanical timers and most digital timers can be programmed for more than one on-off per day. If it is an Intermatic, many, if not most, electrical supply houses will have the trippers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I bought my house in Nevada last August the pool company that took care of the pool weakly had set it for daytime and put a check sheet inside the timer cover and a old pencil on top on the timer :-D I just assuemd people ran em during the day. I have observed the following pro cons for day night
Day pros:
Solar free heating! needs the daylight.
It's running when you go to check levels and add chemicals.
Stagnate water is avoided, something with the sun beating down on a body of water that is still for hours.....
If you have a water feature its on when people are swimming during the day, spa spill over ect.
Your awake or outside to hear a skimmer sucking air or pump whinning needing attention.

Night pros:
If you get a break on electr. at night you could save $$
Your automatic cleaner can do its business so you can enjoy the pool during the day without it in the way.
Your pump won't run near as hot in the cool night air as apposed to during the day the sun is beating on it.
( A nice elderly woman at "Swim In Pool Supply Co. on S. Main St. told me this) and that the life on a pump in Vegas will be grately reduced due to heat. Also never run it in the rain as the vent slots at the bottom will pull water into the pump anf damage it. This is food for thought, 2 good points.
The backyard is quieter for your daytime enjoyment

Thats all i can think of

Getting different reviews on when to run the pool filter. I would think daytime would be better but I need more feedback also I have 2 speeds hi and low. Which should I use. Thanks high or low and when should I run the pump. By the way if it wasn't for this site I wouldn t have had a great pool weekend

Just a voice of experience here. We also have a two speed pump and a solar heater. We run the pump on high during the day with the solar heater "on", and then turn the pump on low and run it the rest of the time. If we don't need the heater, the pump stays on low. So our pump is on 24/7. I know that might seem like overkill, but we tried to turn the pump off overnight, but were not happy with the condition of the water. Nothing scientific, just our experience.

It also depends on where your pump is located and how big your lot is, I'm not sure I could get away with running my pump during the night even though it is variable speed and relatively quiet. We have a very quiet neighborhood and everyone makes sure noise is limited to ~9-5pm, I run my pump 7:30am-7:30pm and that is probably as much as I can get away with. In any case, we have solar heating so daytime is required. If I changed anything, it would be to have the pump start later...which would allow me to visually inspect the bottom of the pool better at the start of the day. No one here swims before 9-10am so we could move the pump start time back from 7:30am to 9am.

I've determined that I need to run mine about 9 hours per day. It really doesn't matter that much which 9 hours I run it - I suppose if I was really electric $ sensitive I would run it between 9 PM and 10 AM (for the marginally lower TOU rates and not worrying about peak demand charge). I really like it to be running while I'm swimming, so I would turn it on while swimming anyways.

And yes, I would also like to get some more Intermatic trips (both on and off). Failing that - it would be nice to get one like the one on my water heater (electronic timer)

Something I didn't see mentioned here was chlorine effectiveness. You'll generally want to run your pump when adding chemicals for even dispersement.
UV breaks down chlorine so it makes sense to add it at night when it will be more effective, and therefore you'll probably want to run your pump at night too.

The other thing I was thinking about was how water flow affects algae growth. Initially I thought it would impede algae growth, so you would want your pump running during the day when algae would grow faster, but slow moving water may improve the delivery of oxygen and phosphates to the algae, so it may well improve growth instead. Purely speculation though.

There is some good reasoning with what you say and circulation is definitely important but the key point is that algae growth is mostly a chemistry issue- and that is about primarily maintaining the FC/CYA ratio which doesn't allow algae to get going in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.