Replace 1 spd 1Hp Superpumb with a 2 Speed Motor?

fuzzy_dba

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2007
NC
I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but I didn't see it when I searched...

Can I replace a single-speed Hayward Superpump motor with a 2-speed motor and still retain the pumping effectivity of the wet-end?

If so, what motor (56J frame?) is the better motor to go to?

Thanks,
Terry in NC

mas985 said:
Superpumps use a 56J frame like these:
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/56Jframe.htm
You will want a 3/4 full rated or 1 HP uprated motor.
Mark:
Is there *any* chance of putting a variable speed motor on the existing wet-end?
My "guess" is that the speed control feature of the variable speed motors is built into the entire pump therefore I'd have to change out the entire pump. Is this correct?
-Thanks again!

You can use a retrofit solution as Jason showed but you have to make sure that the motor is inverter rated. Not all pool pump motors are rated for VFDs so they will tend to fail sooner. The folks at Hybrid should be able to help you find a motor to use with their retrofit.

However, it might be more cost effective over the long run to just go with one of their pumps. By the time you replace the motor and get the drive, you will probably be more than half way toward the full pump. The full pump offers a bit more efficiency as well so pay back would likely be only a little bit longer than the retrofit solution.

JasonLion said:
Some motors can be retrofitted with a variable frequency drive to get variable speed operation. This isn't done very often so I don't really know the details. You might want to take a look at http://www.hybridpumps.com/.
Mark: "You can use a retrofit solution as Jason showed but you have to make sure that the motor is inverter rated. Not all pool pump motors are rated for VFDs so they will tend to fail sooner. The folks at Hybrid should be able to help you find a motor to use with their retrofit.
However, it might be more cost effective over the long run to just go with one of their pumps. By the time you replace the motor and get the drive, you will probably be more than half way toward the full pump. The full pump offers a bit more efficiency as well so pay back would likely be only a little bit longer than the retrofit solution."
Thanks for the information!
It's another one of those situations where I'd like to be able to get some use out of the wet end that I already have without spending a fortune for a new pump. It seems like a 2 speed motor would be the most cost effective method, but I'll have to come up with some sources and run the numbers. I just know that I can probably (?) replace the motor and have it paid for this year... A full variable speed pump may be different.

Thanks again!
-Terry in NC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.