Yearly algae problem again when opening pool

May 3, 2010
Just uncovered our pool again, and as we've had the last few years, we've got another problem with algae. The last two years, I've flocked the pool, but want to try to get away from it this year and try the BBB method.

The pool is an inground vinyl pool, about 33,000 gallons. The sand in the filter was replaced this spring. The water is cloudy, and not able to see the bottom of the deep end (8'). I'm trying to vacuum the dead algae from the initial shock treatment.

Values from checking the pool this morning are:

FC ~ .5
PH ~ 6.6
TA ~ 60
CYA ~ 10

Should I add sufficient Borax and Baking Soda to get the PH and TA where they need to be before trying to add enough bleach to shock it, or add all three at once? I'll be continuing to try and clean up the dead algae.

What is a good method to prevent this from happening during the times when the pool is covered?

Thanks,

Chip

Raise the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4 first. You can't retest to see how your adjustment worked if you add chlorine, so do PH first.

Don't worry about the TA for now, it is acceptable. You can fine tune TA later.

Start raising CYA to around 30 before starting to shock.

Welcome to TFP!

Were you circulating the water when you tested and got those numbers? Be sure and run the pump for about an hour before testing to makes sure that everything is mixed well in the water. If it has been sitting a while, it can really affect your test results.

PoolGuyNJ said:
What kind of cover? A mesh safety covered pool should be closed a bit later so the temp drops since most let light in. Light + 60 degree pool water plus no circulation = algae.

Yes, it's a green mesh cover. It was covered towards the end of September, just before the leaves start falling here in South Jersey.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Were you circulating the water when you tested and got those numbers? Be sure and run the pump for about an hour before testing to makes sure that everything is mixed well in the water. If it has been sitting a while, it can really affect your test results.

Had run it for about 6 hours yesterday, backwashing as needed. It sat overnight before testing this morning.

Will get updated results, add the borax and let run for a few hours before testing again this evening. Will post the results.

With a mesh cover you want to close late and open early to avoid algae. Ideally you want to wait to close till the water gets down to 50 degrees and then open before the water warms up to 50 degrees.

Sorry for not updating earlier, I travel for work, and have been trying to have my wife keep adding the bleach after she tests and calls me with the readings. She's been questioning my sanity with the amount of dollar store bleach we've bought over the past week. We've filled nearly three trash cans with 3/4 gal bleach bottles. I had also added 7 boxes of Borax, 3 12.5 lb bags of baking soda, and 16 lbs. of stabilizer to get the PH, TA and CUY up.

This morning I checked the pool and got the following results (with the pump running an hour before testing):
TH ~ 200
FC >= 10 (HTH sticks only go to 10, need to get a real kit).
PH ~ 7.6
TA ~ 100
CYA ~ 30 to 50

Since the CYA is in the 30 to 50 range, I've had my wife add enough bleach to get it up to an FC of 15. Haven't added anything else (since the dose of borax, baking soda and stabilizer early in the week).

The shallow end (~42") of the pool is clear, just a hint of green. Just a few small bits of dead algae on the bottom. The deep end (8') is still tinged green, but still slightly cloudy towards the bottom (gets worse when vacuuming to waste). The bottom's been vacuumed to waste twice, and added water to replace what was lost. The sides were pretty clean, but I scrubbed them last night.

While she's becoming a believer, her only concern is that adding so much bleach will whiten the liner. I tell her to stick with the plan, and as the FC stays stable, we'll start to lower the chlorine levels.

Thanks again,

Chip

Welcome to TFP!!

Perhaps the info is here already, but I'll tell you how to, initially, deal with this :)

When you open your pool and see it's a swamp:

Add a good dose of liquid chlorine, with the pump on.

BRUSH the walls and floor as completely as you can.

The next day you want to kill the pump and wait until the green stuff settles to the bottom, then vacuum to waste. (keep an eye on your water level as you do this :hammer: )

I really should write a 'sticky-able' post about this - but, it ain't gonna be tonight :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.