Finally Up and Running!

GVi77

Mar 24, 2010
Thanks to TFP I was able to get my pool running after buying a short sale home with missing pool equipment. Here is a pic of my pool Thanks TFP!

IMG00374-20100424-1420.jpg

Thanks frustratedpoolmom! The water is perfect because of this web site! The water feels perfect as well. The kids jump in right after school and stay in the pool for about 3 to 4 hours at a time with no red eye! I didn't have enough $$$ for a heater but the pool is between 80 - 85 degrees. I will take and post more pics this weekend along with the test results.

Thanks TFP!

G

Well... woke up early this morning, vacumed the pool, skimmed the top, cleaned out the filters and pump baskets and tested the water. Pool temp is at 85F and here are my final results:

PH 7.5
CL 4
CYA 55
CA 280
TA 90
FC 4.5

Any recommendations? How am I doing for first time pool owner?

Thanks!
G

You have a beautiful pool, and your levels look fairly good also!

With a SWG, I suggest raising your CYA level to around 70 to 80. That should allow you to lower the percentage on the SWG, which will increase the cell life, and should also reduce the amount of PH drift. If the PH is constantly rising, you can let TA fall down to 60 or 70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, with a SWG the recommended CYA level is between 70 and 80. Raising CYA is done by adding stabilizer/conditioner to the pool (different companies call it different things, technically it is called cyanuric acid, but almost no one labels it that way).

OK... it's been a month or so since I posted any results so here they are. I planned on adding more conditioner to bring my CYA up but any other suggestion? Thanks!

CL = .5
BR = 1
PH = 7.8
FC = .5
CC = 1
TA = 160
CH = 250
CYA = 60

Your chlorine level is too low. Adding CYA will help that some, but you should also raise the percentage on the SWG. With CYA at 60 you want the FC level to be around 3 to 5. Right at first, you should add some extra chlorine manually to help take care of that CC level. If the FC level doesn't come up and the CC go away, you may need to shock the pool.

Your TA is rather high. I would expect the PH to be rising fairly quickly. If rising PH is a problem for you, lower the TA down to around 70 and see if that helps.

Thanks Jason! Looks like one of the kids lowered the percentage on the SWG. :hammer: LOL. I added some chlorine and bumped up the percentage on the SWG. I will also add some CYA to raise to about 80.

Thanks for the advice and have a great weekend! :cheers:

Thanks

G

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.