Brand new Hayward Super Pump just humms

Nov 30, 2007
Benton, Ky,
I just bought a Hayward Super Pump 1.5 Hp 2 speed pump...

Here's the specs...

IMG_5398.jpg

According to the diagram...

There are 3 terminals...labeled..."1" "2" "3or4"

The factory hi/lo switch is wired...
black to "3or4"
yellow to "2"
white goes inside motor somewhere

I hooked one leg of my 220v to terminal "1"
I hooked second leg of my 220v to terminal "3or4"
I hooked green to the ground screw on the case

The motor just humms until the motor's internal overload kicks out..

I've tried starting the motor with the hi/lo switch both ways with same results...

I tried bypassing the switch by moving the line "3or4" connection to terminal "2" so that the wiring is..
one leg of my 220v to terminal "1"
second leg of my 220v to terminal "2" same results...just humms

I checked the voltage on the legs at the source...seperately and together..

I checked the amps on each leg as the motor is trying to start and get around 3.5 amps on each leg before the motor's internal overload kicks out...

I took the motor/impeller assembly out of the housing to make sure the impeller wasn't binding on anything....

I tried starting the motor out of the housing and the impeller moves about 1 inch before the motor's internal overload kicks out..

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong...??

Your wiring is correct with 110 vac to terminal 1 and 110 vac to terminal 3 or 4. Did the box look like it might have been dropped in shipping? With the rotor locking up so soon I wonder if the shaft is bent or a bearing damaged. Does the impellor spin by hand freely? if so ohm the moter leads perhaps its a bad winding.
I use the same pump on my pool and have always had good service from hayward. I hope this helps you out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.