Would this detract the sale of my home?

They may or may not be correct. A lot of people will not buy a house with a pool for a number of reasons, i.e. liability, small kids, non swimmers, dont want the hassle, etc.

Also, and I'll tread lightly here, sometimes people do not like the looks of an above ground pool for various reasons.

Your house would be a plus for those folks that are OK with a pool or want a pool with a house. However, for people who have no interest in owning or maintaining a pool, yes it will be a negative. Nothing against your pool, it's just not what they want.

Think of it in terms of a 2-story house versus a rancher. If your a senior citizen and absolutely want a single floor home, your not going to pick my 2-story colonial over a rancher not matter how nice my house (and pool) is.

I would keep it and have you r/e agent mention to prospective buyers, that you are willing to remove/re-sod if that is a deal breaker.

Like most said...it's not that it takes away value...with the pool your looking for someone that wants a abg pool or is OK with aquiring one.

My agent told me the same thing when i purchased my house with a IG pool. It's not going to add much value to the property. My agent also said it will be harder to sell because you're simply removing a portion of the buyers because of a pool. For me though It's something i was excited for, although Ive never had a pool so that may fade.

All points taken...:) The fact of the matter is, I am not including any of the pool, hot tub or decking in the price of the house! That's the kind of market I am dealing with. But, I'm worried because we seem to have a hard time just getting showings. The one potential showing we were supposed to get, the realtor said their client did not want a pool.

dmanb2b said:
I am digging your umbrella set-up though. Very nice :goodjob:

Yep, I sit under one and the wife sits under the other and watch the kids swim. They will stay in until there hands and feet wrinkle up. I'm the "life gaurd" and sit up by the steps. The wife is the snack queen and she knows how to get the kids out of the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would go by what the real estate agent says. The pros and cons of a pool for house sales vary widely from place to place. The real estate agent is going to be the most knowledgeable of what the conditions are like in your specific area.

In the listing, you could offer to remove it if the potential home owners don't want it. That way you can capture both those who might want it and those who don't.

Honestly I have been burned by realtors so many times. Don't waste your time taking it down now. Just have it in your listing that if the buyers want it down you will do it then. Until then remember you are hiring your realtor, your the boss not them.

Todays market everyone under cuts prices anyway whether your home is perfect or not, don't waste your money doing any extras that aren't essential, you will not get your money back. CNN can say what it wants the market is still horrible, don't be bluffed into doing something you don't need to yet. List it and pray just the right buyer comes along that wants exactly what you have. Usually seeing a pool isn't completely a deal breaker for people especially in your case if you have the contingency to take it down with a deposit and contract, all inspects passed etc..

93, you have a beautiful property. I remember your "Disney" back yard pics and all the toys :-D

Leaving the pool and offering to remove it seems like the best of both worlds.

Wonder what would happen if the "I don't want a pool" person was looking at your place on a very hot day!
Bet that has changed many minds :lol:

Having that sparkling pool water can only help :wink:

As has been said already, people are very opinionated about pools. They are generally strongly in favor of having one or strongly against having one. The sole reason that we bought a new home was because we wanted a pool. We knew that having a pool added virtually no value to our existing home and we didn't really want to eat $50K for a pool install. We looked only at homes with pools. People like us probably make up a small fraction of homebuyers with those feelings though.

You are lucky in that yours is an AGP and can be removed it needed to force the sale through for a prospective buyer. Had you an IG pool, it would put you in a much tougher spot. But with an AGP, it just needs to be taken away, the lawn resodded, and that's that.

You have such a beautiful pool that it is my hope that you can find a buyer who would want it back there. Your pool and decking are as beautiful as they come.

Providing that the home is priced at current market value & you are offering to remove & resod should make the pool a non-issue. I cannot stress enough that pricing at current market value is the most important factor for selling your house. Good Luck!

A pool can become a huge negative if it's not maintained & presentable, but yours looks well done.

When we were preparing to sell our house, we did a lot to fix it up; removed wall paper in kitchen and textured and painted there, touched up or repainted bedrooms and closets, cleaned the flowerbeds and added fresh mulch. The realtor told us to replace knobs and handles in the kitchen, that no one wanted brass knobs it had to be nickel. She also suggested fresh carpet in the den.

The people who bought the house didn't care about the paint, they had painters come in and paint all the rooms white. The pulled the carpet and installed wood floors in the den. They didn't care about the kitchen cabinet knobs nor the 20 year old mini blinds. They wanted that location and the floor plan. All the things that we thought were so special about our house, the ethernet wiring, surround sound in so many rooms, outdoor speakers for the deck and the small fish pond and fountain, the carefully constructed landscaping that made such nice views out of every window -- they didn't care about any of that. They put up curtains and kept them closed, ignoring the views. They never went outside to the deck and took down all the hanging plants and flowers. They sold off the fish pond and fountain. They let us take the outdoor speakers since they'd never use them. I'm glad we had already taken the surround sound speakers down.

You can never tell what will matter to the buyer. Just know that the things that cannot be changed are the essence of the deal.... the location and the floor plan are key. Everything else is pretty easy to change eventually, so they will customize it to their liking.

So, in a framed photo at the entry, show a beautiful photo of the pool, and then say that it can be removed if desired upon sale. Just be sure that the deal is done before you tear into anything. I cannot tell you about how many sales are getting knocked apart by bad appraisals now. The bank may say they want some % down, but in reality they may demand more down as the appraisal comes in low. It'd be too sad to tear it apart only to find on the day of closing that something went wrong and the deal is off. So have the check clear the bank before you take it out.

So, we have a contract on the house!!! It is my understanding from the Realtor that the new buyers love the pool. I don't want to jinx myself so that's all I will say for now! I will update everyone once we close. If the new owner is not aware of this site, the pool school, or the BBB method, at closing I will make him aware so that he will have a great time enjoying the new pool instead of working on it all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.