Returns not blowing right and motor is running hot

Apr 13, 2010
My returns have been blowing great that past week. This morning, I found that the returns are blowing very weak and the motor was hot to touch. I read somewhere there might be an air leak that is causing the return. If so, I think I found the leak. (See picture) I have a black tube that runs from one pipe to the next ( I think it was for a chlorinator?) That tube is leaking. Since we don't have a chlorinator, should I just remove it? If so, how do I seal back the holes?

And why would my motor be running hot all of a sudden?

Thanks

Attachments

• 0503001047.jpg
    0503001047.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 76
Have you ruled out all of the more obvious possibilities first? If you haven't already, check the filter and skimmer baskets, to make sure the filter is clean and nothing is blocking the skimmer baskets. If that is all fine, then check the pump strainer basket to make sure it is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could be that you have no pressure because you have very little flow due to an air leak. Or you could have high pressure and little flow because of a dirty filter or blockage after the pump.

so what would be the solution? i am guessing that i have a leak. if you look at the picture, i have a leak in the black tube connecting to one pipe from the next. should i remove the black tube? and if so, how do i seal the hole?

Thanks

It would be very unusual for that black hose to cause the problem you describe, though it is possible. If you are worried about it you should replace the hose with a new piece, which is much simpler than sealing the holes. You can usually find that kind of hose at places like Home Depot/Lowes.

The black tube looks like it is on the pressure side so that wouldn't cause an air leak.

As mentioned above it could be an air leak on the suction side but because the motor is running hot and you have very low flow rate, I think it could also be an impeller clog. If and when you have ruled out an air leak or suction side blockage, it might worth removing the motor to check the impeller. Also, check your valve settings to make sure all skimmers and main drains are open.

Good advice. I have checked to make sure all valves are open. I will replace the hose and hope that works. One more thing, I just had my motor worked on....they replaced some gasket within the motor itself. Don't know if that helps or not.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.