Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Borax and boric acid together

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Borax and boric acid together

Hi Everyone, I want to put borates in my pool, I have picked up about 12 boxes of 20 mule and have some MA on hand, This is not enough to do my pool. Now i have changed my mind and want to use Boric Acid instead of the 20 mule and MA. My question is can i use what 20 mule i have and then finish up with Boric acid when i get it... no problems with mixing the two. I know they do the same thing but was wondering about mixing them...
    thanks
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Borax and boric acid together

That is fine as long as you add each one to the pool independently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't forget that the Boric Acid is a weak acid so when you add the 20 Mule Team Borax you will still need to add the proper amount of Muriatic Acid to maintain pH. That is, you cannot substitute Boric Acid for Muriatic Acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks chem and jason. i just wanted to use up what i had already bought before i buy boric acid and finish with it...I always keep an eye on my PH.
    thanks
    jim
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.