1972 Inground Gunite Pool Remodel (Pictures)

Yep, its a beauty, and it will look even better in a week or two.

Are they doing any kind of startup procedure on the finish?

I guess I'm not sure what you mean. PB put in some chemicals he said that were for helping the plaster set up better or something to that effect and he dumped a few pounds of calcium into it almost immediately after there was enough water to do so. The finish has lightened somewhat (or maybe seemed that way because was nice and sunny today). We are really liking the "Lagoon" finish, it dried with a sort of mottled or marbled look to it. We are still not completely finished, they still have to put the Vulcan (caulking) between coping and deck and waiting on the new pool light assembly, and skimmer flapper door. Really small things but we are ready for them to be done so we can get our backyard put back together. It totally sucked washing all the concrete dust off the side of the house and everything out back. They had to grind the old Kool deck off with a big machine and it was a big dust storm. Between that and the rock dust from them cutting the coping, everything was coated. It wouldn't come off with a garden hose. I had to get a sponge and in a few cases use a brush to clean everything off with soap and water.

What a beauty!!! It sounds like you're almost finished! I agree - your materials selections are terrific! The coping, stone, and water tile. I especially love the water tile - very unique (in a good way!) and goes so well with everything.

Are those Knockout Roses along the fence? I love them, whatever they are.

What is the water color? I love it, too! Way to go! Suz.

I found the same that the concrete dust was brutal to clean off everything. They had to cut all my coping and then all the paver stones around the pool and edge of the patio as it's not a squared off design. Tons of dust.

I found the same that the concrete dust was brutal to clean off everything. They had to cut all my coping and then all the paver stones around the pool and edge of the patio as it's not a squared off design. Tons of dust.

Nice to see someone can relate. I never imagined what a pain it would be to remove. What was really frustrating is my wife and I spent the entire summer(took it slow) last year painting the house by hand ourselves (brush and roller). So when they covered it all in concrete dust it was maddening.

So is it normal for new plaster to absorb some of the water from the pool? They plastered Tuesday, and started adding water Tuesday evening. By Wed afternoon when I got home from work, the pool water was right under bottom of coping overhang. Basically touching it. They got the pump running on Thursday and I noticed a little less water in the pool. I thought maybe they had back flushed some. But this morning (Saturday), I noticed the water level is still lower. It is down to halfway on the first block on the tile (two rows of blocks on tile). I've seen mixed opinions on here when doing a search. Some say yes new plaster will absorb water and others say no it won't. If you look back at some of my pictures of the pool after fill you will see how high it was and in the picture below you see that I estimate that maybe I've lost 2 1/2 inches of water, maybe less to allow for lines, filter etc. I wouldn't say it has been hot enough here to cause that much evaporation. We have had mostly 70's with last two days low 80's. I saw a suggestion of a bucket test in another thread, however, my steps aren't accommodating enough for this. I tried to do this and second step bucket is under water and top step can't get enough water in bucket to keep it from floating off. Anyway can someone who is familiar with the plastering process give me an opinion? I don't want to talk to PB until I get some more information on this and have an idea what I'm talking about. Right now I'm going to monitor the water level and take photos so I have something to show him if it should keep losing water. Maybe this is normal and I'm overstressing, but I want to make sure everything is good before I cut final check.

You have a leak my friend. Plaster doesn't drink, in fact it's is waterproof. No way that kind of water loss is normal for the timeframe and weather you describe.
However, your initial water level sounds too high for the skimmers to function properly so they probably drained some. But if it continued/continues that will make the leak the clear explanation.

You have a leak my friend. Plaster doesn't drink, in fact it's is waterproof. No way that kind of water loss is normal for the timeframe and weather you describe.
However, your initial water level sounds too high for the skimmers to function properly so they probably drained some. But if it continued/continues that will make the leak the clear explanation.

That is what I'm afraid of, that I have a leak. The skimmers aren't functioning properly at the moment anyway, because they still haven't put a new skimmer door on yet.... But yes I'm going to keep monitoring it and if it keeps lowering then there is obviously a problem..... grrrrrr.....

Edit: PB was just here and he asked when the last time the light had been taken out. I told him never since I have lived here. He suspects we may be losing water through the insert. He said to keep monitoring the water level and let him know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sorry about the possible leak. That would be a big worry - never did like big worries. But let's think on the positive side and keep fingers crossed it's a skimmer issue.

Did you suspect any leaks before the remodel began? Could something the crews did create a leak? What has your humidity been during this time? If I had those answers, I might be more convinced it's something new not working properly.

On the other hand, your pool is bea-u-tiful!!!! My favorite is the back stone wall extending beyond the decking. Not sure I've seen that before. No, my favorite is the water color! Wish I could translate your color to a Pebble Sheen finish (still undecided on a color for our pool). No, I think my favorite is how you already have those lovely roses showing off ya'll's "new" pool!! OK, now you see, I'm a very indecisive person. But what I do know is ya'll have a wonderful retreat.

Everything will work out. Keep us posted. Suz.

Ok, here's another update. They have since re-splashed the Kooldeck. We went with a color called Burly Wood, which is a tannish /brown color. Was(is) darker when wet, but dries down lighter. I don't know if you can tell the color from the pictures below. Also the came and acid washed and got the pool ready to plaster. The had removed our old white ladder steps and replaced with gray to go better with the new gray plaster, also installed a new gray drain. Had to order an eyeball, for shallow end. I guess they didn't have the style they needed in the gray finish. Here are some pictures of the pool as is currently sits. Water to be added this afternoon.

After Acid wash

Here is what it looks like now

Can you tell me what type of finish that is on the pool? Is it paint? Epoxy? I am just starting the same renovation but doing the work myself. My pool here in Canada is about the same age. I will be starting a new thread with my own picture timeline. I have not decided on the material I will use to finish so I am curious what they used on your pool. Thanks

Can you tell me what type of finish that is on the pool? Is it paint? Epoxy? I am just starting the same renovation but doing the work myself. My pool here in Canada is about the same age. I will be starting a new thread with my own picture timeline. I have not decided on the material I will use to finish so I am curious what they used on your pool. Thanks

It says at the top of the post that it is gray plaster. :)

justawildchild, pooldv is correct, We have gray plaster. It does look like epoxy in those pictures which were taken right after the plaster was finished. The plaster has since lightened or marbled out in areas, which is what the "Lagoon" finish is. We are really pleased with the look of it after coming from a plain white plaster. I saw your thread on DIYing your pool yourself. Good luck to you, and if you liked the look of my pool remodel I believe I listed the materials we used throughout the thread.

justawildchild, pooldv is correct, We have gray plaster. It does look like epoxy in those pictures which were taken right after the plaster was finished. The plaster has since lightened or marbled out in areas, which is what the "Lagoon" finish is. We are really pleased with the look of it after coming from a plain white plaster. I saw your thread on DIYing your pool yourself. Good luck to you, and if you liked the look of my pool remodel I believe I listed the materials we used throughout the thread.

So, assuming the base is sound, you can plaster right over an old layer of plaster without taking the old plaster off?

So, assuming the base is sound, you can plaster right over an old layer of plaster without taking the old plaster off?

Yes that is what they did. They just plastered over the old. In the pictures you can see they went around whole pool and tested the old plaster for bad spots with an electric chisel. All the little holes/marks. They also chiseled out and area around all the eyeballs,drain and light. Then acid washed and replastered right over old.

- - - Updated - - -

So the tile guys prepared the base with hydraulic cement? And what type of adhesive did they use for the tile?
After they chiseled off the old tile they did do a prep on the tile bed with something, as far as what they used I'm not sure. Same for the cement they used to lay the tile, not sure what that was as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems to me that is something that they should have looked at while they were working on the pool................

I LOVE the waterfalls! How does it sound? I bet it is nice!

Kim

Yes you would have thought they would have looked at that, but no I guess they didn't, or maybe it wasn't anything obvious....and yes the waterfalls sound awesome! Very relaxing, I'm thinking I need to hand a hammock out by the pool for some nice relaxing naps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.