Need advice re: liner

Jun 8, 2008
We have a 27 foot AG round. We put a new liner in it 4 or 5 years ago. Last summer, had a leak that we never could find. We realized this spring that the leak is much lower than we thought, as the water level is down to about one foot, maybe a little more. Second issue is that there is a white scale/powdery substance on the pool walls where it is dry (calcium??). We really can't afford to pay for a new liner and installation, as the quotes I have had were $500-700 for the install alone.

I am looking for thoughts as to whether this liner sounds like it may be salvageable. The leak was slow enough last summer that we just had to add more water than usual; not a huge deal. Thoughts appreciated.

Erin in Ohio

How did you figure out that the leak was lower than you thought? Was it lower upon opening? If it was, your leak could be higher than the water level was.

As small as the leak sounds it's most likely repairable. Post back and we'll help you find it.

Last summer, we thought the leak was fairly high because it seemed as though the level would drop a few inches and then seemed to stay there. This spring, however, the level is very low, so we assumed that the leak is lower in the pool than we thought. Any advice that could help us find the leak would be great.

Any reason to worry about the white flaky stuff on the liner? How long do liners typically last? I thought they only last 5 or so years, but then when I looked online at new ones, places talked about 20-year warranties. ??? Thoughts??

Thanks for the help!

Erin

The best place to start is to fill up the pool and then let it leak down till it stops. You'll have to account for evaporation but you should be able to tell when it's a leak and when it's evaporation. When it stops start looking for the leak at that point. If it's at a place like the bottom of the skimmer it could be the plumbing leaking. Post back once you get to the searching phase and we'll give you more pointers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.