Running the pump overnight?

Apr 3, 2010
I'm thinking of joining a program with my electric company that gives you cheaper rates for using electricity during "off peak" hours (I.E not during the sweltering hot hours when everyone has their air conditioning on). I've always run my filter during daytime hours when we are more likely to be in the pool which leads me to a few questions. Is there any reason that I should not run my pump overnight instead of during the day? I know you should run the filter for a while after adding chemicals, and it would actually probably work out nicer if I did that before bed. The only other reason I can think of to run it during the day is because my pool is hard to keep warm. Would it warm up better with the water circulating during the few hours that the sun isn't behind trees? Also, is there any reason I should have the pump on while people are in the pool?

on a separate subject...how long should I run my pump each day?

There's really no reason you can't run the pump during the off peak hours. You may need to run the pump a bit during the day but you can minimize that.

Most people ffind it adequate to run the pump 6 to 8 hours a day but you'll have to figure out how long you should run your pump for your particular pools needs.

I have the "time of day" meter that you're talking about and running it at night is fine for me, although I do add some daytime hours during the afternoon when it's hottest. If your numbers stay in line, then running it at night shouldn't hurt.

As far as pump run time, every pool is different. if your water is sparkling now, try cutting back an hour at a time (one change per week or so). At some point the water will begin to look a little more cloudy. When that happens, just add the one hour back and you should be good. Note - as seasons change your run time may also need to change, so if your pool starts to look cloudy as the weather heats up, add another hour.

Good luck!

An hour to "stir" the pool during the day is probably a good idea. If you do get some algae or something started in the pool, if the water isn't moving you can get an FC-free dead zone, and circulating a bit will take care of that. Also circulating some during the day could have some effect on warming the pool. A solar cover would help with that as well (slows down the cooling more than actually warming, but every little bit helps).
--paulr

I believe you should run the pump when people are swimming. Especially kids. Running the pump helps keep whatever might be brought into or left in the pool by the bathers to mix with the chlorine more rapidly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
You may find that running the pump at night has the pool cool off more at night due to increased surface circulation so your average pool water temp may become lower.
I usually have a heater going because my pool doesn't get much sun (wife wont let me cut down any trees). I'll have to keep a close eye on my gas bill!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.