Marine Epoxy on DE Filter Manifold

M

Mike S

This will be our first summer in the house that we moved into last fall. We moved in late September and did get to spend some time in the pool. At the time I noticed what looked like fine dust on the bottom of the pool. After doing some reading here I thought it might be DE. I pulled the DE filter apart this morning in preparation for opening it in the next few weeks. I wanted to give the grid a cleaning and double check that they were in good shape. The pool is about 20 years old and all the equipment appears to be original, except the heater.

The grids looked like the were in good shape. No tears or staining, so I am guessing that they have been replaced. I washed them off and gave the rest of the filter a good cleaning. I noticed that the plastic manifold has two small cracks where the two threaded rods would go through. I'm guessing someone cranked down a little too hard on the the nuts. I'm wondering if some DE was getting through these cracks and into the pool? The rest of the manifold appears to be in decent shape and the cracks are only are very narrow and short.

I was think about try to fill them with some marine epoxy or puddy unless this will be a waste of time. I did some looking around and I think I can replace the manifold for around $100, but I rather not sink the money into the old filter if I may just need to end up replacing the whole thing in a few years.

Epoxy, marine or otherwise, is unlikely to seal a leak completely. In theory it can work, and every now and then it will work, but it is incredibly difficult get it everywhere it needs to be to actually seal the leak.

Thanks. I just went ahead and ordered a new manifold. The rest of the filter seems to be in decent shaped, so I'm guessing I can get at least a few more years of service out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.